Thursday, June 29, 2017

My Other Brother Art

The guy in the photo over there is Art Rogers ... and wife Bonnie ... who I met during the 2005-2006 Blog wars ... the ones that eventually contributed mightily to Frank Page's election as 2006-2008 President of the SBC. He was pastor of Skelly Drive Baptist Church in Tulsa, and of late had pastored Redemption Tulsa, a new church plant.

Now, my only sibling, growing up, was my brother Art. He was a couple years older than I, and we were pretty much typical brothers.

I got saved as a youngster, and got active in church again when my sons were still pre-school. Sadly, my brother never did profess Christ .. that I know of ... and died a converted Jew.

Earlier today, my friend Art Rogers died. Sadly, he suffered from the same illness that claimed my sibling, namely metastatic esophageal cancer.

After I heard the news about my eternal brother's death this morning, I felt moved to write a poem for him and his family. Specifically because of the nature of his illness and the freshness of the memories of my sibling brother, albeit he died in 2000.

Bonnie, Art Rogers' widow, kindly is allowing me to post the poem here, for any who might have known Art, and might be interested.

Herewith:


ETERNAL BROTHER ART


I lost another brother today

His name was also Art

Unlike my sibling who went away

We’re just, for a while, apart

For the Art named Rogers who left this earth

Had served the Lord while here

Through a life of acts of Heavenly worth.

For people he held so dear.

His faith was strong, for all to see

Right up until this end..

That punctuates our time on earth

When we must lose our friend

But lost is not the word to use

For when a thing is lost

We know not where it is right now 

Despite its earthly cost

That’s not the case with Brother Art

For we know where he went

And where he is, we too shall go

For life, here’s only lent

To us to get to know the One

Who saves us from our sin

And waits beyond the Heavenly gate

One day to show us in.

To where Eternal Brother Art

Has found a glorious home

Away from smog and sin and all

We see as earth we roam.

For now we say “Auf wiedersehen …

We’ll see you then, one day

When our Heavenly home we gain

You sure showed us the way”.

1 Comments:

At 11:22 PM, June 29, 2017, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great poem, Bob

KH

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home