"ONLY ONE LIFE, 'TWILL SOON BE PAST......
" ... only what's done for Christ will last".
So goes a poem a friend once related. He said it had changed his life, and it had. He was the Field Director of the OMS Mission in Haiti, and we had dinner with him, and his family, one evening.
We were there on an OMS-sponsored mission trip, and had dinner each evening with a different missionary family.
Dave told us he'd been in Agribusiness in Oregon when he read the poem, and it gave him immediate pause. And caused him to analyze his life and decide he needed to be full-time in his service.
Having been active with the laymen's arm of OMS, he gravitated to them and eventually became a full-time missionary. Which put him in Haiti, some years before. After a few years, his heart for the Haitians and his skills became obvious, and he was named the Field Director.
From what we saw, he did an excellent job in the position, which he held until his retirement a few years ago.
In case you haven't figured it out, the photo above is not that of Dave. It's Susan, our server at Ruby Tuesday's a few days ago. And she kicked off this train of thought.
We'd asked if we could pray for her, when we blessed our lunch, and she reacted wonderfully.
After we finished lunch, we stopped at Dairy Queen for a little dessert. While devouring a Peanut Buster Parfait, the following train of thought pulled into my mental terminal:
- I have eaten many treats like the PBP.
- I have visited many,. many places on earth. Something like 45 states and 35 countries. And done a lot of memorable things there.
- Stood on Victoria Peak in Hong Kong and stared at the South China Sea.
- Visited a village in China, and sat with a lady in her little house there. She showed us the picture of her, with Michael Jackson, while he was in China.
- Ridden many miles at 110mph on the Autobahn.
- Seen and touched famous race cars that Id' read about since a child, at the BMW and Audi Museums in Germany.
- Walked the Formula One race course in Monte Carlo.
- Shook Liberace's hand and got his autograph, while in Las Vegas. in 1974. He'd been playing the quarter slots there when we happened upon him.
- Watched Killer Whales, while they were playing not far from the balcony of our room on the cruise ship, in Alaska.
- All that's left of them is memories.
- The time I delivered a "message" ... some might say a sermon ... at Red Hills Baptist in Kingston, Jamaica.
- The impromptu Bible study with a half dozen "Bahama Mamas", who had brought their kids to our Backyard Bible Club at Zion Yamacraw Baptist Church in Nassau.
- The time I interrupted an "F.A.I.T.H." presentation and just talked to a young lady named Kori.
- The time I presented the Gospel to a Sunday School class at a Boy's Prison in Plainfield, Indiana.
- The time this week that we asked Susan, who served us lunch, if we could pray for her when we blessed the food.
- There's only one life here, and it will soon be past.
- Only what's done for Christ will last.