Wednesday, March 01, 2017

Quick Example: The REALLY Temporary Nature of Stuff

The picture there is the Riverchase Galleria, a huge enclosed mall shopping center just a few miles from our home. The tall building is the Office Tower, and the Hotel .. a few stories less than the Office ... is at the far right.

This was developed by a gent from Montgomery by the name of Jim Wilson. Jim was an acquaintance of a lady who worked for me at Riverchase Business Brokers, and she got us an invitation to the topping-out ceremony. And we went.

The party was held late morning in mid-1985, in the dirt immediately in front of where the Office Tower stands, It was a lot of fun .... I even got interviewed by a local talk radio host, asking what my view of the business climate, and the prospects for the Galleria's 100+ stores might be. (As if I might know something....)

When it came time to lift the highest steel I-beam into place, Jim Wilson had all of us sign the beam with a black marking pen. Needless to say, we all felt pretty good about having done that.

We all went back to work and carried on as usual. But a couple days later, our younger son called my office and told me to look out the North-facing windows. I did, and saw a HUGE plume of smoke in the distance. He worked for an LP gas company at the time, and Brad told me a tar kettle with one of their tanks attached had caught fire. It was quite a sight.

It singed and thoroughly smoked up the beam we'd all signed. So. they cleaned it up, sanded it down, and re-painted it.

So much for having signed the topping-out beam

2 years after that, the signature on the beam was gone, I'd closed my company and moved to the next career stage, my son went into computer programming, and the developer had died.

SOOO ... While the memories of the events are good, they really do need to be. Everything else is gone, including the signed beam, the developer, the talk show host, and my company.

The good news is that I am still saved and a beloved child of God. And that has only gotten better.

You can guess what I'm focusing on these days.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home