Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> EAGLES' REST: Something Like Automatic Pilot

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Something Like Automatic Pilot

Here's a picture of a portion of the dashboard on our 2015 Ford Fusion. The part that shows, to the right, is a programmable section which can can show one of several information screens ... Phone, Entertainment, Climate Control, or Navigation.

When I took the Picture, Navigation is what showed.

That particular screen shows several things, most notably a compass to show where we're going, as well as a little Speed Limit sign, telling us how fast we can get there.

Somehow, the programmers of the GPS system accessed all the numbered routes in the nation, and programmed them in. As you can see, when I snapped the picture ... at a stoplight ... I was on a road with a 45 mph speed limit.

I usually run with that screen showing, for no particular reason, and I can change to another screen with a few flicks of my thumb anyway, thanks to steering-wheel-mounted controls.

I noticed something a few days ago that I thought I'd pass along. Namely that, most of the time, I don't pay a lot of attention to my speed, but when I do, I'm traveling about the speed shown on the dashboard. That's true on 2-lane Helena Road, 4-lane highway 31, Interstate 65, or congested Cahaba Valley Parkway. I'm guessing that I've gotten so used to driving there that I just naturally drive at the right speed without really consciously doing so.

That's the part that got me to thinking. Isn't that how the Christian life should be? If it's true that God remakes us from the inside out, shouldn't we eventually settle into "Automatic Pilot Mode" in how we live? Shouldn't we simply, by default, turn the other cheek when insulted, give the sort of soft answer that deflects wrath, pray for leaders we don't like, love those who hate us, show love for one another, and live our lives in a manner which reflects our relationship with the risen Christ?

Shouldn't that be our automatic reaction, our default mindset?

I think so.

9 Comments:

At 10:28 AM, December 17, 2016, Blogger T Aagard said...

There can only be an automatic pilot if the flesh is gone and only the Spirit is at work. You know that won't happen till we're glorified. We must always battle the flesh because it will always war against the Spirit. We must always put on the full armor of God because the devil will not stop attacking. Isn't the Word clear there is no automatic mode in the walk of faith? Is there a promise that the first response is the godly response?

 
At 11:25 AM, December 17, 2016, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

Your position is that humans can never be fully submitted to the Holy Ghost? And the Bible lays out a description of abundant life that we cannot attain to on earth?

I do not believe that God laid out a plan we cannot follow.

 
At 11:17 PM, December 21, 2016, Blogger T Aagard said...

No that's not my position. We can attain the full stature of Christ, be conformed to his image, but there is never an automatic time in that journey. It always requires a fight with the flesh and the devil and his world system. We can attain but always with a battle. Even Jesus had to battle the devil. He was led into it by the Spirit. Are we exempt from this?

 
At 9:47 AM, December 22, 2016, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

I rest on Psalm 37:4.

 
At 9:51 AM, December 22, 2016, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

Or putting it another way, I believe one can automatically give a soft answer, turn the other cheek, esteem others more highly than one's self, show love for others, be joyful and peaceful and patient. That can become one's default persona, as one if conformed to the image of Jesus.

 
At 11:02 PM, December 26, 2016, Blogger T Aagard said...

Psalm 37:4 (ESV) 4 Delight yourself in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart. How do you get automatic out of this? Can you fail out of automatic pilot or is it once you are in it you are sinless from then on?

 
At 8:38 AM, December 27, 2016, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

We do what we want to do. Our will is conformed to him. Following His ways can indeed become the automatic response.

Believe otherwise if you wish. From the perspective of my years, it is, however, true.

 
At 10:11 AM, December 27, 2016, Blogger T Aagard said...

I'll do my best to delight in the LORD and see if autopilot kicks in. Thanks for the interaction.

 
At 6:53 AM, January 03, 2017, Blogger Jhon Marshal said...

Nicely presented information in this post, I prefer to read this kind of stuff. The quality of content is fine and the conclusion is good. Thanks for the post.
discount coupons

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home