Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> EAGLES' REST: Keeping The Most Important Thing the Most Important Thing

Wednesday, September 07, 2016

Keeping The Most Important Thing the Most Important Thing

Colossians 1:17 tells us something interesting. Speaking of Jesus:

"He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together."

My curiosity about why God makes these statements leads me to conclude a couple things. One is that the Scripture says that Jesus is before all things. Not was. I figure that's because Jesus existed before God created time, so there's no past tense where time did not exist.

Also I looked up the words in the original languages, and they tell me that it all means exactly what it says. 

He holds any, every and all thing(s) together. Today. Right here.

I don't draw a breath ... in fact, there's not even any air ... unless He holds it all together.

Ponder that for a moment. And when you do, consider how dependant you are, on Jesus.
Whether you know it or not ... whether it's in your conscious thought ... even whether you are a believer ... we are totally dependant on Him. Each of us needs Him as badly on our best day, as we do on our worst.

Holding that thought for a moment, let's go on to the living of your life. Hopefully, you won't shuffle off this earth via some tragic instantaneous occurrence like a big accident or an atomic bomb, and you will grow old, able to contemplate your future. That happens to be what I am doing at present. And I am struck by one growingly important thought:

One day, I will wake up and it will be the last day of my earthly life.

Yup. I'm going to die. And that's the word; God says it's appointed to me once to die ... see Hebrews 9:27 for details ... and that's how I'm going to describe it.

So ... the day after my last one, don't go saying I have gone to my eternal reward, gone to see my Savior, or any other euphemism. Please use the word God used. In His Word.

Anyway, I figure on that ultimate day, the most important thought in my mind ... and in my life ... will be my faith in my Savior. My reliance on Him. And I intend to practice that every day I have here on earth.

I want it to be a fait accompli.

Now. If it is going to be the most important thing to me, then, shouldn't it be the most important thing to me, now? Thankfully, at my age, it is. Resting in His grace. Sure of my future.

My eternal future, that is. We're all going to be here 50, 60, 70, 80, 90 years, or some such; we're going to be somewhere else a whole lot longer than that. So, do the math.

I'm not talking about doing something ... some sort of works ... to bolster my faith. I'm talking about faith being so important to me that my life becomes a living representation of it. Doing everything I do in accordance with it.

God said whatsoever is not of faith is sin. I want my life to be 100% "of faith".

The bonus: as God says, it's abundant! 

Who'd want anything less?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home