Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> EAGLES' REST: IN ALL YOUR WAYS

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

IN ALL YOUR WAYS

Had a bit of an epiphany this morning. Big enough, in fact, that I knew I had to write about it.

That's really a big deal, seeing that I have not been inspired to write in something over a month.

It all hinged around Proverbs 3:5 - 6......

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways, acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight."

This is, incidentally, what I share with Deacons being ordained at FBC Pelham, and it's one of my favorite passages.

Anyway ... I  studied the verse long ago, digging into the original. I wanted to know how we could acknowledge Him in all our ways. What I found was ... according to this untrained guy in a pew ... the word "acknowledge" was "yada", meaning to perceive and see, to discern. And "ways" means our journey, the course of our life.

That's exactly what happened this morning when Kami ... our granddaughter-in-law ... dropped Mac off at our house so we could do a little baby-sitting. It struck me, as it always does, how much love she shows for Mac, in everything she does when she's around him. Peg and I have talked about that many times, in fact, what a good Mommy she really is.

What occurred to me this morning was that I have never heard Kami say that she loved Mac! But it is as obvious as anything can be that she does.

You can tell it by how she treats him! And how she goes out of her way to be prepared to treat him out of love. Always being prepared, always ready to feed, nurture, interact with him. To see to all his needs.

What really screamed at me this morning was I could see her love in all her ways, and this is the heart of Proverbs 3:6, for me ... that our love for God would show in everything we do in our relationship with Him, just as Kami's love for Mac shows in everything she does in relationship with Mac.

So the big question for me is: How do I discern Him ... perceive, see, discern ... Him in all my ways? That's certainly what I desire, as it's part of the abundant life which cause Jesus to come down here and live & die for us. Fortunately, He left us some clues as to how we can do that.

For instance: "If you love me, keep My commands". That's John 14:15.

Or maybe "Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching".  John 14:23.

Commands and teachings. I see them as a bit different ... one instructs us what to do or not do, while the other goes to who we are and how we're to act. And to do the things we're instructed to do.

That seems pretty comprehensive. And the interesting part is He's not telling us to say how much we love Him. 

We get the lingo down pretty good. But it seems to me the mouth isn't the first place our love for Jesus shows up. Just as everyone, regardless of their faith, could easily see Kami's love for Mac, so anyone, regardless of the setting, should be able to see ours for the God Who has done indescribably precious things for us.

I want to "yada" His presence in all my ways.

May it be so in my life....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home