Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> EAGLES' REST: Sometimes TBT Is Throw Back Tuesday.

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Sometimes TBT Is Throw Back Tuesday.


More about the picture in a minute......

I happened across .. make that I searched for and found ... a song on YouTube that took me back to my childhood in a way that I'm not sure anything has, before. It's a video of the Ted Weems Orchestra's rendition of "Heartaches". There are several reasons for that.

First, I remember when it became popular in the late 1940's. In fact, I still do have a 78rpm record of it, in my collection downstairs.

There's also the fact that my Dad told me a story about the recording; I think the only such story he ever related. He said that the Ted Weems Orchestra had recorded the song but it hadn't done well at all. He said in searching for a way to increase its appeal., someone suggested they play it in double-time. That seemed to have done it.

Please give it a listen, here. And, as it happens, it was recorded the year I was born.

I liked the song when I was a kid, and I like it now. Even moreso because of my High School experiences.

One of the highlights of the last 3 years at Broad Ripple High School was membership in the "Dance Band". We'd call it a jazz band, now, I suppose, but most of what we played consisted of Big-Band songs and arrangements, from the Big-Band Era.So I kind of grew up loving the Big Band Era, and Big Band Music.

Come to think of it, we were a "big band" ourselves, we had 5 or saxophones, 3 trumpets, 2 trombones, an excellent drummer (who went on to be Professor of Ethnomusicology at the University of Colorado), a string bass, pianist, female Violin trio, a female vocal  trio, plus male & female soloists. And what really connected me to Ted Weems was the fact that a Talent Scout, who had worked for Ted Weems, heard our Dance Band while we were playing a dance at Butler University. He told our director that we were the best band he had ever heard, in Indiana.

Not just high schoolers. The best of ANY.

When I heard the song, after all these years, it made my eyes sweat. Or something. Maybe because it took me back to some old-time heartaches. But it took me back to a lot more old-time Joy.

Unspeakable.

3 Comments:

At 2:47 PM, February 11, 2015, Blogger Aussie John said...

Bob,

Wow! That took me back a long way. I was born the year after you.

That tune became embedded in my memory for many years, and drove people crazy as I whistled it whatever I was doing.

Thanks for the memories!

 
At 4:18 PM, February 11, 2015, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

Soulmates. That's what we must be.

Soulmates.

 
At 7:11 PM, February 11, 2015, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

My favorite part is, after Elmo Tanner does a chorus whistling, when the sax section comes in on the last chorus. As I played tenor sax in our band, I am instantly propelled there in thought and feeling.

Wonderful.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home