Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> EAGLES' REST: She Thought She Died Well. But I Disagree.

Monday, November 03, 2014

She Thought She Died Well. But I Disagree.

That's Brittany Maynard over there .. the young lady who legally ended her own life, this past weekend, in Oregon. She'd recently moved there because physician-assisted suicide would be legal for her, there.

I have no knowledge as to her faith. Nor do I know how it feels to have a terminal and inoperable brain tumor, albeit I am living with prostate cancer which has metastasized to my lymph system. It's currently being held in check by a drug I take each 6 months, but how long its forestalling effect will last is unknown.

Actually, if you have to have a slow-growing cancer that's being (presumably) temporarily held in check via Trelstar injections, age 76 isn't a bad time for it.

As for Brittany, her death is a tragedy regardless, and I have no idea whether it took more courage to end her life as she did, or let the disease take its course. But for someone like me, it seems that the last good thing I can possibly do on this earth, to glorify God, to show forth His grace, is to die well. to die unafraid, proclaiming His goodness and His glory.

That'd be a bit tough to do were I to pull my own plug, telling God by my actions that I don't trust Him. If I don't trust Him in everything ... and I mean EVERYTHING ... then everything ... and I mean EVERYTHING ... is futile.

But it's not.

I would hope she'd trusted Jesus for her salvation. If that would happen to be the case, I believe she'll get to Heaven, and will hear something like the following, from the Savior: "You have NO IDEA what I had in store for you, had you let me handle it...". 

Her story brought to mind, and did so when I first heard it, the story of my friend Troy Smith. He died some years ago of metastatic breast cancer, after a long and courageous battle.

I happen to have been involved with the family, perhaps more than most at church, because of my informal association with the Making Memories Breast Cancer Foundation, and also with putting together the 2-week Disney Cruise/Disney World vacation for them when his cancer came back. To this very day, I have a wonderful relationship with the family he left behind, I suppose none more vibrant than with his daughter Hannah Grace.

You can see the poem I wrote about Hannah, here. Still a sweet young girl, but now a sweet young teenager.

I wrote about Troys death on this blog, years ago. I did it to show forth the sort of legacy I'd like to leave behind, and you can read it  here. Be sure and read the comments, too, as many were from friends who spoke more eloquently than I.

We can learn a lot from death. For one thing, we're all appointed to do that, and we have plenty of warning it's coming ... no matter how "unexpectedly" it arrives.

We can also learn a lot from those around us, as well.

Be it positive .... or negative.

1 Comments:

At 5:22 PM, November 03, 2014, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I almost don't blame her....so hard to imagine it....either way.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home