Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> EAGLES' REST: The "GOOD" Side of the Ebola Virus?

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

The "GOOD" Side of the Ebola Virus?

OK OK .. calm down ... I don't really mean that a deadly virus which is killing thousands of people really has any good or redeeming qualities. But since we're bombarded with a whole lot of information about what's going on in that aspect of life in these days, I thought an observation or two might be in order. So, since I'm not a doctor and have no answers, nor any expertise in such matters, it's naturally something I want to write about.

Hey ... lack of knowledge (read "ignorance") of things never stopped me before.

Start with the premise that we don't draw our next breath unless God ordains it. Unless He holds all things together on this "God-forsaking" planet.

  • Acts 17:28: "For in Him we live and move and exist, as even some of your own poets have said, 'For we are also His offspring."
  • Colossians 1:15-17: "The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together."
There's more, but I think you get the picture. Our security, our comfort, or assurance of things to come ... they're all in Him.

Now, the world has done a pretty good job of telling us how to be secure, comfortable, safe, happy, beautiful, fulfilled, and all that stuff. Is it possible that many or most Christians have bought into that thinking?

Let's face facts: we're going to be dead a lot longer than we're going to be alive. Hence, it seems to me the most important thing to nail down, in this life, would be where we're going to spend etenity. And Christians, of course, have done that. We trust Jesus to take us to Heaven when we die. So .. if we trust Him with something that important, why wouldn't our trust level be equally high when it comes to lesser matters, such as life on earth? Why wouldn't we trust Him in matters like Ebola, and our personal safety & security?

You know, if God's will would be for me to contract such a dread illness as Ebola, and die a death of victory over everything the world can throw my way, that'd have to be OK with me. I mean, God's will for me, and complying with it, is the most abundant way I can think of to lead this life.

I'm not hoping for that, but as someone living with Prostate Cancer, I do know the fears the enemy can hurl my way, and the temptation it can be to let such things interfere with the realization that God is still in charge.

I hate Ebola. I hate the death and misery it brings. I hate it equally with the Houston Mayor's attempt to intimidate and/or silence preachers whose passion it is to declare God's truth and minister in His name. But both of those newsworthy items do tend to reveal who or what it is we really trust.

I would think the crucially important thing for people in either of those classes of folks ... pastors and patients ...to remember, would be keeping their eyes and their minds and their hearts intensely fixed upon the Triune Entity that is God.

The Author and the Finisher of their faith.

God, help me keep my eyes and mind and heart there, too. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home