Friday, April 05, 2013

Handsome, Pleasant Wolves In Sheep's Clothing

Just finished up a visit with a couple of folks from a certain group that regularly sends members to visit people in their home.

I'm sure you can figure it out.

We've had many such visits over the years, from this and similar groups. Personally, I enjoy the dickens out of them. It's fun, and I also believe it serves to sharpen the iron, so to speak.

I've never detected any sort of "canned pitch" opening. In this case, they began speaking of the conditions in America and the like. Presumably because that's what one of their handouts dealt with. They gave them to me immediately and I took them and set them aside. After a couple minutes of their presentation .. they would not sit down .. I inquired as to whether I might as a question. They said certainly, so I asked:

"Am I going to go to heaven when I die?" 

They started talking about 144,000 in the Bible, although I never did get that point. I said that number was, indeed, mentioned in Scripture, but it sure didn't say it in that context.

They moved on to talking about Jesus and mentioned how He wasn't God. I asked them to read John 1:1 from their "Bible" and he started referring to some other passage, so I told them their book said "In the beginning was the Word, and the word was with God, and the word was a god." If I had it correctly. He showed me his book and that's just what it said.

I reminded them that they had added "a" in referring to Him, so as far as I'm concerned, they didn't really have the Bible. They protested that there had been a lot of translations, etc etc.

I asked them again if they could please address my question about going to heaven, and the possibility of being certain of that. And that's when they decided they had to leave. Hurriedly.

There's no question about John 1:1, by the way. The word "God", used twice in the one verse, is "Theos", both times, and there's absolutely no modifier like "a". 

As they were walking out the door, I again asked them if I could know I was going to heaven. One said something about enduring to the end, and I asked if he'd ever read 1 John 5:11-13. Walking down the steps he said "Yes" and the other gent said "We'll see you in Heaven and we can work it out, there", as he was walking down the sidewalk. 

I told them "Well .. I'LL be there...."

Nice guys. Out there working for their kingdom work. We should all be so zealous in our faith.

If only they were promoting the Truth.......

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home