Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> EAGLES' REST: My Take On "A Statement of the Traditional Southern Baptist Understanding of God’s Plan of Salvation”

Wednesday, June 06, 2012

My Take On "A Statement of the Traditional Southern Baptist Understanding of God’s Plan of Salvation”

My opinion:

If they had simply stated their beliefs, it'd be one thing. But every sentence that starts with "We deny..." serves only to foment strife and cause divisions. It is obviously aimed at those who believe in the system of doctrines we term "Calvinism".

That's one thing that's been appealing about The Baptist Faith & Message, to me. And hence, about the Southern Baptist Convention. Given the stance on the Priesthood of the Believer, setting forth what we believe ought to be sufficient. If our beliefs are solid, then our followers should be able to detect false doctrines.

Are the framers of this latest statement saying that Southern Baptists, on the whole, are incapable of reading and discerning Biblical truths for themselves .. for actually being the "Priests" we've so long claimed?

If they had omitted all the "We deny" statements, it'd be a nice statement of faith. As it is, I think they should be ashamed of themselves. Telling a good percentage of Southern Baptists they shouldn't believe what they believe.

Several capable people have pointed out all the straw men, and false implications, in the statement, so I won't debate it here. Except to say that (A) blaming our declining or sagging numbers on our name, and now (B) attacking the beliefs of a goodly number of our members, including some of our own leadership, does not speak of a healthy organization.

I went to a "Building Bridges Conference" some years ago. I guess the drafters of the document have decided they'd rather burn them.

Note: If you haven't yet seen the document, you can download and view it here.

6 Comments:

At 4:26 PM, June 06, 2012, Anonymous Charlie Kelly said...

Good post.

 
At 4:52 PM, June 06, 2012, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

Thanks for reading, commenting, and the kinds words, Charlie.

 
At 7:40 PM, June 06, 2012, Anonymous Robert said...

"We’ve done OK with evangelism. Making disciples? Not so much. IMO, not much at all."

I found you stating this on another blog today, and I couldn't agree more. (Interesting you are from Pelham, until two years ago I lived in Helena! Small world, is all I am saying...)

As a cradle baptist, I found myself wanting several years ago because we evangelize and spend far too much time on societal commentary and playing rock shows and Plasma televisions, and not enough time creating disciples who do as God commanded. I found a new home in the Episcopal Church, and see far more disciple making and feeding the hungry, clothing the poor, sheltering the homeless...than I ever saw from an offering plate in the churches of my youth and young adulthood.

I have enjoyed your comments on the other blog and on your own. God Bless....

 
At 4:41 PM, June 07, 2012, Anonymous Anonymous said...

1 John 2:27 (commentary) Let no man teach you except the Holy Spirit. Tell a congregation not to believe what God has already taught them is standing on shaky ground..

Good post, Bob

 
At 9:30 PM, June 07, 2012, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent post sir; very well put. You raise an issue that I have wondered about that others I have read have not brought up... Priesthood of the believer. I wonder if we survive this what will be the next point of derision? Maybe if one is not premillenial they will be in trouble in the Convention.

 
At 9:52 PM, June 07, 2012, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

Quite possibly .. there was a subtle change from the 1963 to the 2000 version of the BF&M. The switched from affirming "the priesthood of the believer" to affirming "..the priesthood of all believers..". I'm not a prophet, but that change could lead to something, some switch in that fundamental distinctive, at some time.

Time will tell.

Thanks for reading and commenting.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home