Talk About Yer Unreached People Groups.....
I think there's a group we've been missing in our efforts to make disciples.
They are probably 15 million strong, and they run the gamut of types, from those who think religion is OK and want to "identify with it", but are not interested in participating, to those who've joined for some of the same reasons one might join a country club (prestige, identification, etc). And the best part is we don't even have to travel far to visit with them.
They are already members of SBC churches. But they are simply not involved. Not involved in the work of the church, or even in attending!
- SBC Churches have, collectively, about 16 million members.
- On any Sunday, there are about 6 million people attending SBC churches.
- Most of the people attending SBC churches are members, but not all. In our church, around 20% are children who are not members, and then there are visitors too.
- If the previous thought is common, there are probably 4.8 million +/- SBC members in church.
- If our church is at all typical, I'm guessing perhaps 20% of the attenders are actually active in the operation and life of the church. Teaching, watching children, singing in the choir, leading a group, etc.
- Since the last number I heard from SBC sources was 37% the of membership number actually attending, then I'm believing that perhaps 30% is realistic, as stated above. And is close to what our church reflects.
- 20% of 30% is 6% of SBC members actually involved in the work of the body.
- The Bible clearly states that 100% are gifted for said work; "To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit, for the common good."