Tuesday, October 04, 2011

I BET YOU DO....

Do what?

I'll get to that in a minute.

We Americans are prone to accomplish things. We think in terms of cause & effect, and take a certain pride in what we accomplish. Building, going, doing, earning, etc. Sure, we acknowledge that our blessings come from God, when we are reminded of that, but still.....

On the other hand, we tend to ask "Why me?" when something bad happens to us. Or .. you know the old interrogatory mantra .. "Why do bad things happen to good people?". Well, that one's easy to answer: bad things happen to good people because bad things happen to people. And "good people" are still people.

It isn't as if God didn't warn us about that.

The picture up there is a sort of sign I spotted on Facebook, and immediately stole. It brought me up short, and I re-posted it on FB. But this morning, at 5:54 a.m. .. when I couldn't sleep any longer, I knew I had to write about it.

Actually, about something I've noticed for years.

The Bible is pretty clear that every good thing comes from God. That He holds all things together by His powerful Word. Yet, despite that, we ask "Why me?" when trials, illnesses, tribulations, tragedies and the like, come our way. But what we don't usually do is ask "Why me?" when good things happen to us. And that prompts me to ask the question I answered in the title:

"Do you know, or know of, anyone who works harder, is smarter, or is a "better person", than you, who has less .. who's less blessed .. than you?"

I do, and I bet you do, too. And that ought to prompt you to ask "Why ME?"

The answer to that question is that God loves you. And He is gracious. I cannot account for why He is the way He is, but I rejoice in it, every day. And you should, too.

If you have placed your faith in Christ in the manner described in the Gospel.

Coming on the day after I found out my PSA is still zero, and my abdominal CAT scan was normal, I'm aware more than ever: I ask way more than I thank. And I need to fix that.

Now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home