Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> EAGLES' REST: Sweetness: Heavenly Variety

Monday, September 19, 2011

Sweetness: Heavenly Variety

The picture over there is what was left of my bowl of Stauffer's Chicken Teriyaki Peg fixed for lunch. At least, as of the time a particular thought struck me.

There's none left now, of course.

The thought that interrupted my train of unthinking eating was this: the first bite of the Chicken Teriyaki, I remarked to Peg how sweet it was (which I really, really like). But when I got to the point at which I took this picture, I'd noticed I couldn't discern the sweetness any more. I'm sure you've noticed .. how great that first bite of steak is... or the first spoonful of banana pudding .. or the first mouthful of whatever your favorite food is .. but then, by the end of the dish, the gustatorial ecstasy has usually faded.

It's like that with other stuff, too. When Peg first was diagnosed with Breast Cancer, we made it a point to go away somewhere, together, just the two of us, during the week between our anniversary (3/13) and her birthday (3/20). Some of the places we went: Cancun, Ocho Rios, Germany, St. Thomas, Costa Rica, St. Martin, and Ste. Maarten (different countries on the same island). But we haven't gone away in several years, now.

Why not?

Well, travel has, frankly, kind of lost its thrill. Yes, we did go to Alaska and the Pacific Northwest a year ago, but that was by way of taking a vacation we'd signed up for 10 years ago, but we had to cancel when Peg had to have some surgery at just the wrong time (vacationally speaking). But this year, we talked & talked about a vacation, and couldn't think of anywhere we really wanted to go.

The "thrill of it all" had faded.

I've noticed the related thrills, of new cars, new houses, new tools, etc, have faded, too.

Now all that's sort of a given in my mind as we were chowing down on the Chicken Teriyaki, but when I got to the Kodak Moment (I wonder if kids today have any idea where that one came from..), the thought that hit me was this: matters of the Spirit haven't lost one iota of their sweetness. In fact, quite the opposite. The old hymn that says "the longer I serve Him, the sweeter He grows" takes on real meaning when the things of the world have sort of universally lost their "sweetness", particularly if you're really serving Him.

Frankly, when I was just sitting in a pew, that hymn didn't mean much at all. But lately, say the last 20 years, and primarily through the media of teaching and personal ministry, it just keeps getting better and better.

In making sure of the words to the hymn, I happened across (that's a pseudonym God sometimes uses when He doesn't want to sign His own Name, you know....) this video that's worth watching. Check it out .. you're going to love it.

If you're serving Him, that is.

2 Comments:

At 8:42 AM, September 22, 2011, OpenID danielmharding said...

I needed that reminder and encouragement today. Thanks

 
At 10:30 AM, September 22, 2011, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

Thanks, Daniel. This is why I blog. Every now and then, God seems to use it to speak to someone else.

Of course, I always learn something, too. I promised God years ago that, if He'd show me something, I'd use it as quick as I could. I figure, if we're faithful to use what He shows us, He'll show us some more stuff to use. Thus far, if that was a promise from Him, He's been faithful in it.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home