Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> EAGLES' REST: So .. WHO CARES?

Monday, August 15, 2011

So .. WHO CARES?

As Christians we're blessed, in many ways. And, as a Christian, one is expected to share that blessing with others around.

I've often used the illustration of a leaky tank. If the pressure inside the tank is higher than the pressure outside, then what's inside is apt to come leaking out. IF, on the other hand, the pressure outside is greater than that, inside, then what's outside is apt to come leaking in.

Case in point: Christians. Followers of Christ. If the pressure of your faith .. your allegiance to Jesus .. your dependence on Him, is greater than the pressures around you .. the pressures of the world, the family, the job .. then Jesus is going to ooze out from you. But, unfortunately, the opposite is true here, too. If your faith-pressure isn't very high, then the world is going to come flooding in. And that can hurt your faith-walk with Jesus.

FBC's Dennis Nunn-led revival was all about our lifestyles. How we live, and what we live AS. See, Jesus said a couple interesting things, just a few seconds apart (seemingly). Check this, from John 14(NIV):

"21 Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them.”
22 Then Judas (not Judas Iscariot) said, “But, Lord, why do you intend to show yourself to us and not to the world?”
23 Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them."


Catch the difference? It seems to me that following His commandments is a matter of do's and don'ts, but following His teachings concerns who we are. What we let Him do in us. How we live our lives, from our hearts, not just our minds and their recollections of a set of rules.

In other words, whether we let the Holy Ghost have His way with us.

We all have our own lives to live, complete with our own set of troubles. But maybe if we live as we ought, from a heart made new by Jesus, just maybe God will use us to impact the lives of those around us.

Dennis Nunn told us how we could share with our servers in restaurants. As my Grandkids did last Wednesday night at a local restaurant, when they blessed the socks off a server named Chan. Well, Peg and I went to Applebee's today, as she had noted they had a pretty good "twofer" for lunch. When our server Mari brought our drinks, I looked up at her .. feeling all the shyness that's been part of me as long as I can remember, along with all the hesitancy Dennis mentioned .. and I said "We're going to give thanks for our food. Is there anything we can pray for you, for? Anything in your life?" She brightened up, in a serious sort of way, and said "Oh yes .. there's so much going on now.."

We chatted a few seconds and she shared that she was from Mexico originally, and was raised in Washington State, about 50 miles from the Canadian border. We then told her we'd pray for her, and she left.

We did give thanks for the food, and prayed for Mari.

When she brought us the check, she'd written some stuff on it. I asked her if she wrote that on all the checks and she said "Oh, no ... I did that for you".

I think she meant it, and I'm betting you're surrounded by folks every day, who have just as much going on in their lives, that need prayer, as Mari did. So the question I'd pose is this: do you care?

I'm not holding myself up as any sort of model, but when I read what she wrote on the check, I'd have to be either a fool, or a masochist, or maybe both, NOT to want to be "bringing some light" to the days of folks around me, as Mari indicated happened today.

I repeat: WHO CARES?

I do, and hopefully, so do you.

Here's the check:



1 Comments:

At 2:33 PM, August 15, 2011, Blogger Alan Paul said...

My daughter works at Applebee's in Texas... I am going to post this on her wall - she'll appreciate it.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home