Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> EAGLES' REST: High Attendance Sundays

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

High Attendance Sundays

Every Sunday, we assemble at FBC Pelham in order to stimulate one another to love and good works. Included in that is the efforts by the pastor and teachers, to edify the congregation for the work of service, via preaching and teaching the Word of God. And that's not the best work, in my mind.

That's worshiping the God Who spoke the universe into existence. Adoring our creator and His Son. Letting the Holy Spirit refresh our souls, to prepare us for a closer walk with God.

Loving the brethren. Fellowshipping and showing that love. Making our lives available for others.

But then, churches also have "High Attendance Sunday", in which awards are given for highest percentage attendance, etc. It is that "promotion" in which I will not participate. See, in my alleged mind, the reasons I stated that we assemble on Sundays are all Biblical, and are the highest reasons I can imagine for the assembly. To do anything that indicates that the 3rd Sunday or whatever of such-and-such a month, we'll have a special reason for attending, is demeaning the reasons God sets forth, and in my mind, demeaning to God.

I told the SS class I taught for some years that, if we somehow had so many people show up on a Sunday that we won some sort of award, certificate, or plaque, that one of the members would have to go get it, if they wanted it. I didn't want any part of it.

I don't mind that churches do that. I'm not on the Church Activity Appropriateness Commission. Just don't ask me to be involved, please.

I won't.

2 Comments:

At 6:45 AM, August 25, 2011, Blogger Stephen M. Young II said...

Motivating the church its ministerial staff, and its membership is one of the most important things a pastor can do. High attendance Sunday, as you said, is probably the wrong motivation.

We need to be thinking of more creative, yet biblical, ways to motivate our churches. For me the goal never was attendance anyway. Burdens, Inspirations, Visions of what God can do, those really motivate.

I enjoy your blog.

 
At 9:07 AM, August 25, 2011, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

Thanks for the comment. The occasional comment such as yours is the reason I continue to blog. I figure as long as I put them out there, God might do something with one of my posts, now and then.

I fear that the real reason behind this sort of goings-on in churches, and also behind the tendency of Baptists to have "revivals" .. which I've never really seen one of anyway .. is weak preaching and teaching. Easy believism. Undisciplined congregations.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to blog about this one of these days.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home