Wednesday, May 04, 2011

People Don't Limit God

Many years ago, I read a Playbill posted on a temporary fence around a construction site, advertising a play soon to be appearing in Indianapolis. The play was named "Your Arms Are Too Short To Box With God".

The musical was loosely based on the Gospel of Matthew; I don't know how true to Scripture the presentation was, but man oh man, they sure got the Title right!

A few years back, when bloggers played a major role in electing Frank Page President of the SBC (over "establishment candidates"), a certain professor at an SBC seminary was reported to have said that there are no permanent relationships established in blogging, among bloggers. He's a fine professor, but he sure got that part wrong! Some examples, from this week, follow:

Alan Cross showing up at Westmont Baptist with a car full of stuff for their effort feeding people is a pretty good example, although not the most surprising one. Alan was one of the original cadre of SBC bloggers who worked for some needed changes in the SBC, back in 2005-2006, and he's also Pastor of Gateway Baptist Church in Montgomery. CB, Alan and I shared a room in Jackson TN, at a Conference we all attended a few years ago, in fact. My nephew John, an AoG'er from Indiana, spent over a year at Command Training at Maxwell AFB in Montgomery, a couple years ago, and he liked Gateway so well that he rented an apartment less than a block from there (despite the fact that it meant driving clear across Montgomery to go to school, every day).

Alan's got it together as a pastor. He'd probably say he doesn't, which of course tends to prove my point.

But I have a couple better examples. Over the past couple of years, I've gotten to know a blogger from Orland, CA, named Laurie Lagrone. I've never met nor spoken to her, but we met electronically via The Pioneer Woman blog. Laurie has the same twisted sort of sense of humor I do, so my comments on her blog, Fooleryland, apparently struck some friendly chords.

Anyway, we've chatted a few times since the tornadoes struck, and I think she read my blog posts about Westmont's & FBC's partnership in Minor Heights. Then, I received the following email from her:


"----- Original Message -----
From: Laura Lagrone
To: Bob Cleveland
Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2011 11:23 AM
Subject: Tornado Relief


Hey Mister Cleveland,

Finally had a few minutes to sit and talk with The Husband last night, and we decided we'd rather send tornado relief money to a person we trust who can get it to where it needs to go. Does your church have a donation fund going? Will you send me the name/address where I can send a check? It'll be small, but something. I can always give to the Red Cross or Salvation Army, but I suspect the people who live there can do the most good.

Hope you're well and safe, and your whole family, too.

Laurie

--
Reporting live, or close to it, from Fooleryland
"So much foolery, we had to start our own country.""

I immediately wrote her and told her what to do, and she's mailed off a check in response.

Then, some of you'll recall Dr. Sheri Klouda, prominently mentioned in Wade Burleson's blog, a few years ago. We've visited in the Kloudas' home a couple of times, and have kept in touch ever since that whole mess a few years back. Well, last weekend, during a Facebook chat, the following popped up on my screen:

"Sheri Klouda I am sending a few dollars from Pinky to help. He has had it put by for something like this. He promised it to God."


Wow. They haven't had it the easiest since she left SWBTS, but they have managed to get it together and buy a small house in Upland, IN, where she teaches at Taylor University.

But there's something else you need to understand ... Monday, on Facebook, Dr. Klouda posted the following:

"Hi Everyone; my husband Bill is going to have major surgery on Thursday afternoon when they will amputate his lower leg and foot. Today he received a card from a neighbor and really liked it. It is going to be a long recovery and your good thoughts and wishes would mean a lot in the next week or two. He will need a great deal of encouragement."

Wow. I think Bill .. friends call him "Pinky" .. and the widow who gave the two coins, are going to have a lot to talk about in Glory, some (hopefully distant) day.

I met C.B. Scott via blogging. I met Alan Cross through blogging. Ditto for Laurie Lagrone. Blogging introduced me to Dr. Klouda.

Methinks that, sometimes, Professors have a lot to learn.

1 Comments:

At 9:48 PM, May 04, 2011, Blogger foolery said...

You forgot one very important element, Mr. Cleveland: YOU. the strength of your convictions, the quiet force of your beliefs, and the depth of your compassion shows through every day I run into you on the Internutz. We have all been drawn to you for many different reasons, I suspect, but probably the one commonality is that you are such a good guy. And you can take that to the bank.

Your acquaintance because of blogging but your friend because of fondness,

Laurie

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home