Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Respect. We've Got A Lot To Learn

I was perusing some pictures on MSNBC a few minutes ago, when I saw the picture over there to the right. It stopped me cold, for two separate reasons.

The first, which I had been thinking of lately, anyway, is that the overwhelming deluge of news .. in full color .. may have hardened us to a lot of what's really going on. Perhaps similar to children who lose a bit of respect for life by playing all the killing games that we've even seen some specials about. We see so many pictures of the tsunami and the overwhelming devastation in Japan, that it become commonplace to us, and loses some of its impact on us. But if you thought about your entire family being senselessly killed, and actually seeing their corpses lying there, or your entire neighborhood laid waste by a tornado or a conflagration, with the things you treasure most, of your possessions, perhaps you can feel a bit of what has been .. and is being .. repeated, millions of times over in Japan.

I recall the death of my parents, and can easily contrast it with my only brother's death. Mom & Dad were Christians, while my brother was not. One can only imagine how many of the victims who died this past week in Japan, went out into eternity to a future they did not expect. I hope the frequency with which we see the events in Japan does not obscure that fact in our minds.

The part about this photo that really got me was the respect shown, by the South Korean Rescue Workers, as they recovered a corpse. The caption stated:

"A group of South Korean rescue workers and local policemen pay respect after collecting the body of a Japanese earthquake victim in tsunami-swept Sendai, Miayagi Prefecture on Tuesday."

We've also all seen, I'm sure, picture of Oriental citizens as they greet each other, with their hands folded and bowing to each other. Like I said, respect.

After 5 years of blogging, and involvement in various SBC meetings, I think we have a lot to learn from the Japanese and the Koreans. Would that even within our churches and our associations, we'd show each other such respect as these workers showed to someone from another country, who was already dead.

1 Comments:

At 4:48 PM, March 18, 2011, Blogger Aussie John said...

Bob,

You are so right!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home