Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> EAGLES' REST: HAPPY HOLIDAYS, EVERYBODY!

Monday, December 13, 2010

HAPPY HOLIDAYS, EVERYBODY!


Christmas is a really neat time to be an old curmudgeon. You can speak your mind about stuff and, if somebody disagrees, they can just dismiss you as an old fuddy-duddy.

At my age, I'll take all the escape routes available to me, thank you very much.

This rant is brought to you courtesy of the church's seeming upset at merchants who tell you, or who instruct their employees to tell you, or even just people who tell you "Happy Holidays". Some thoughts:

First, when someone says that to me, they're expressing the hope that I have a happy holiday season. I'm supposed to be upset about that?

Not gonna happen.

Second, merchants are in business to make money. Particularly someone like a major chain store operation is charged with making as much money for their owners, as possible. If using the phrase "Happy Holidays" is less offensive to some, then they're really only doing what they should.

Next, it's not the merchants of this world who are supposed to "keep Christ in Christmas". It's you and me, the church. Blaming the stores for not doing that really indicts us, ourselves, if we're doing the usual present buying for friends & family, and not giving the birthday presents to the One Whose birthday we're celebrating. He told us how to do that, you know......

Then there's the fact that "Happy Holidays" is in no way an insult to Christians. Period. It's no more an insult to Christmas than, as you leave work, telling a Jewish friend to "have a nice weekend" is an insult to the Sabbath.

Last, when someone wishes me a "Happy Holidays", it's a wonderful opportunity to say what I do believe. That's it's OK to wish me "Merry Christmas". Every time I have said that to someone, they've brightened up and returned the favor.

I can't help but think that's constructive to the cause of Christ. Much moreso than the church in Texas that started a "Grinch" website, taking to task those stores that don't wish them the best in a manner they like.

So .. anyway, here's hoping your holidays are happy ones, indeed, this year. And you know which ones I'm talking about. If you don't, just ask and I'll be happy to fill you in.

3 Comments:

At 10:23 PM, December 13, 2010, Blogger Julie said...

Amen.

 
At 8:30 AM, December 14, 2010, Anonymous ~Mad said...

What Julie said and... AMEN!

~Mad(elyn) in Alabama

 
At 12:28 AM, December 15, 2010, Blogger Aussie John said...

Bob,
Spot on!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home