Friday, October 08, 2010

Vision is More Than Just Seeing

Yeah, it's another paper that I put in the "Save Stack" while we were preparing for the shredfest, a few days ago. This one happens to be one of three pages of notebook paper upon which my dad had drawn, in the early 60's, the plans for an A-Frame house they were arranging to have built at Bear Rocks Resort Community, not far from Greensburg, PA.

He knew that the A-Frames were all 24' wide, and came in multiples of 12' in depth, so he settled on the size, and drew up what he wanted it to look like. This was the main floor .. sort of the bottom of the "A"; he had another page for the loft (bedroom) and another for the basement, with activity room, sleeping area, woodworking shop, laundry, and a bathroom. They'd owned a nice home in Indanapolis, which they sold when they moved to Pittsburgh in a corporate transfer, and he wanted to reinvest the money before he had to pay taxes on the gain on the prior homes.

So they built this.

As you can see, it turned out to be a nice-looking place. And it all started out as a vision in Dad's mind.

I wonder if there's maybe some Spiritual application here. Perhaps we want to, somehow, limit God to what we can see ourselves. What we may have seen someone else do. What we have been able to do in our own strength. I wonder if we're not accustomed to doing what we know we can do, and asking God to bless as we do "that" for Him.

But that's not the kind of vision I'm thinking of here. I'm thinking of vision like Dad had, with the A-Frame, except pertaining to Spiritual matters. The sort of vision that saw Goliath getting rocked. Saw Jericho being overthrown by an inferior army (with a Superior Commander). The sort of vision that saw hundreds of Baal's prophets coloring the rivers with their blood.

The same kind that saw a deluge from a single cloud.

There's been a bit of a dust-up at Wade Burleson's blog, about knowing God's will. Some of the comments were a bit surprising, since God told us He gives us His Spirit so we can know what's been hidden for generations, and that we can know .. test .. approve the will of God. He then goes on to say that it's the perfect will of God, which of course His will is. ALL of it!

Could we be wearing the wrong glasses? The glasses that focus on us, or on the bankers, or on the congregation, or on the opposition?

Israel's army was pitching a fit about how big Goliath was, but David went up there pitching his own fit about how big God was.

Ten of the twelve scouts that scoped out the Promised Land couldn't see what was there for the taking. Joshua and Caleb could, and they got to hang around long enough to get what they'd been promised. The rest of them perished.

Maybe one of our bigger problems is that we think this: If God hasn't shown me something, He hasn't shown anybody." If I don't see what the GCRTF saw, then I have to disagree with their conclusion, their report, and its implementation. But, if I'm willing to consider that they may be seeing through Higher glasses than I do, then I must give them the benefit of the doubt.

I recently read another blog that compared the Cooperative Program to the venerable B-52 Bombers, citing how they'd been in used for decades and decades, and were still viable weapons in our arsenal. Methinks their vision in that post simply looked past all the later weapons in our arsenal, without which we'd probably be speaking Russian or Chinese, right now.

Perhaps it's only true that we see what we want to see. What we expect to see. Like the CP is the biggest, the best, the envy, etc etc.

And those symptoms remind me of the morning I wore two different-style black shoes to church. The closet had been dark and I 'd thought I'd picked up a matching pair, but I hadn't. I had two different style loafers. As it happens, an hour later, I noticed it as I was mid-way through a lesson in which I had made note that we tend to focus, in the Bible, on that which we expect to see. That which we want to see. That which agrees with our preconceived notions. Right then I noticed my shoes, and told the class I wanted to prove the point to them; I pointed out my shoes.

They'd seen them, but they really hadn't seen them.

Vision. Too often, we don't see what's really there. And seldom do we see what might be.

That would be God-sized. If you want an example, check what happened when our HS football coach and our FBC Pelham Youth Minister saw what wasn't there.

There were nearly 14,000 in attendance, close to a thousand decisions, and hundreds of first time decisions. And it all happened because they saw the same God David saw, and as a result, they saw what wasn't there .. but something well within the capabilities of the God Who spoke the universe into existence.

And, as with David ... and Goliath, Joshua ... and Jericho, Elijah ... and the prophets of Baal, and lots of other folks who saw what wasn't there.

Vision. Without it, we perish, you know.

1 Comments:

At 9:26 AM, October 19, 2010, Blogger CB Scott said...

Man, A trip to that cabin would be nice this time of year. :-)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home