Monday, October 25, 2010

It's Not What We Do.

It's what God does with what we do.

Case in point: Wade Burleson's blog, Grace and Truth To You. And, the fact that Wade, Pastor of Emmanuel Baptist Church, Enid, OK, is laying aside blogging for good, effective with a post he put up a couple days ago.

It's been interesting to see some of the reactions put up by other bloggers and commenters. But I don't really care about anyone else's opinion; I'm better off for the fact that Wade blogged about what he did, and for as long as he did.

A few things that have changed in my life, tracing back to his first blogging about what he saw as unfair rules set up by the IMB Trustees:

1) I got involved in the SBC. We'd first joined an SBC church in 1981, but I had no clue about what went on, beyond the obligatory mentions of IMB, NAMB, and the fact of seminaries and colleges, now and then. I also knew FBC Pelham gave 10% to the CP, but that was about it.

It's a different matter, now, all kicked off by Wade's blog.

2) My first involvement came as a result of a story run by Bob Terry, Editor of the Alabama Baptist, telling the tale of Wade and his objection to the IMB's then-new tongues & baptism guidelines. As a result, I wrote a letter to the editor, stating as one who'd been given the gift of tongues (hey .. that's what the Bible calls it), I objected to the IMB's stance, and particularly since they were, in my opinion, objecting to a gift sovereignly given out by God Himself. That letter, when it was published, got me a phone call from a pastor here in Shelby County, thanking me! It seems his wife had manifested that gift during childbirth, some years before, and she'd felt marginalized by the IMB action. The pastor told me my letter had helped her.

All because Wade was blogging.

3) Our first SBC Annual Meeting, that we attended, was 2006 in Greensboro. We went specifically because I asked Wade if I ought to go. His response was that yes, interested laymen really did need to attend the convention; it wasn't just "for the pros". So we went, and as a result of that, I even got to speak to some issues on the floor of the convention.

I found out that the little guy does have a voice, after all.

We also learned about how IMB Trustees can really be, courtesy of an attack by a long-time trustee while we were walking into the convention hotel. That would have been a real shock, had it not been for what I'd already read.

All because Wade was blogging.

4) When San Antonio rolled around, and the issue of the "Garner Motion" came up, I had the chance to speak to that. I'd also studied the BF&M, as I figured I should know what it was I thought the SBC entities ought to stick to. That led to my studying the 1925 and 1963 versions, also, so I could see where the SBC was headed (to the extent you could tell that by comparing the three...). In the process of that, I found out that very, very few Baptists have ever seen, read, or surely not studied, what is our fundamental consensus statement of faith. I found out that all most SBC'ers seem to know is how they got here, so to speak.

I use the analogy of someone using a Satellite Nav System to go somewhere. All they know is the route they took. Nothing about the countryside.

As a result of that, if I'm objective with myself, I have to acknowledge I know more about "being baptist" than most, and probably more about what I believe, personally, than ever before.

All because Wade was blogging.

5) I've made friends from around the country .. fellow bloggers and commenters .. that I never would have met, otherwise. I recall a time CB Scott and I got on an elevator, at Ridgecrest, and J.W & JaNelle Glidewell, from Nebraska, also got on. JaNelle turned to me and said "Say .. aren't you Bob?" It seems she gotten to my blog after reading a comment I'd made on "Grace & Truth To You", and had been following it.

We're friends on Facebook, now!

All because Wade was blogging.

6) I've been in some meetings here and there, which I never would have been involved in, and met some really nice folks there, as a direct result of blogging (I started Eagles' Rest after reading Grace & Truth To You).

All because Wade was blogging.

7) While attending the 2006 Convention, I met CB Scott. We had lunch a week or so later, and he's become my best non-family friend. It was one of those things .. you know .. from the first lunch at O'Charley's, we just hit it off famously. That friendship, and the sharpening of fellow iron, has been a huge help to me.

All because Wade was blogging.

SO .. while he started blogging to display the things that were going on, to report to the people he served, the actions of those serving the people, the consequences of his blogging go far, far beyond the purpose for which he started, and continued, posting.

There's so much scripture, all over this whole thing, I wouldn't have time to list it all.

The Bible says iron sharpens iron. Indeed.

The Bible says we should acknowledge Him .. ascertain by seeing .. in all our ways. How true.

The Bible says that the victory is the Lord's. And it is.

God said that He'll continue the good work He starts in us. I can attest to that.

Whether I agree with all Wade wrote, with all he's done, he's been a tool God has used in my life. From hundreds and hundreds of miles away, most of the time.

Thanks, Brother. I owe you.

Most of all, thanks, God. Do I EVER owe YOU.

3 Comments:

At 11:48 PM, October 30, 2010, Blogger Christiane said...

I will miss Wade's blog, but he did a good job of explaining his reasons for bringing it to a close.

I will miss communicating with the many wonderful people that came there to share opinions.

Wade tried to help people. Even when it cost him. I honor him for that.

I wish we could still see our comments on his blog, though, even if they are 'closed'. (Just for reference.)

I really will miss Wade's blog very much. And Debbie's blog, too.
Good people.

 
At 3:16 PM, November 03, 2010, Blogger Aussie John said...

Bob,

I am glad you wrote as you did. As an "outsider" in many ways, I did not comment on most issues which Wade introduced, but, I appreciated learning that Australian Baptists are infected with the same disgraceful, graceless attitudes as are occasionally revealed in some comments.

I appreciated the maturity shown in the way Wade expressed his concerns, and the grace revealed.

His will be one blog I will miss.

 
At 12:28 AM, December 02, 2010, Blogger Rick said...

You apparently owe a lot to Wade's blogging.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home