Thursday, September 02, 2010

Refinished With A Purpose In Mind

I previously blogged here about the dresser I've been refinishing for Peg. Well, I'm done (I was about to type "I'm finished", but it's the dresser that's finished, not me).

It is now residing in the spare bedroom across from the little computer-room/den I'm sitting in as I type this. And it's now pretty well filled with stuff. Spare linens, our entire supply of wrapping paper, placemats, other bulky items like that, for which we don't have any other designated storage facility in the house.

The chest itself, as best we can determine, is over 100 years old. Peg used it when she was a kid, and believes that her mom did, when she was young, too. And I believe it. It's largely put together with cut nails, which haven't been in use since before I was born 72 years ago.

And it just looks like it was made by someone who "did it himself". The drawers didn't have any drawer guides; they just slid in, bare wood on bare wood. That wood was worn so badly that each of the drawers had a distinct rearward slant then they were pushed all the way in. The drawer bottoms were made of wood that was 3/4" to 1" thick, and had been planed away at the edges to fit into the drawer sides. The entire back of the chest was rough sawn, as if it had just come been cut out of a log.

And one of the drawer backs had been cut from a log, and the edge of the piece still had the bark on it!

It was a real treasure, covered in its thick scarred-up orangish shellac finish, with its barely functional drawers.

After a couple of months of messing around with it in the shop, it finally emerged, looking as you see above. And it's got drawer guides, and they all function quite nicely now. But it's not just a decorative piece. It's not just to be admired or studied. It's to be used.

That's a lot like you and me, you know. If you're a believer. God didn't save you just so you could be looked at, admired, envied, or anything else of the sort. He saved you for a purpose, and told you what it was, too. Ephesians 2:9 puts it this way:

"For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do "

We're new creations, too. God tells us that in II Corinthians 5, verse 17. Even though we're still walking around in the same flesh, fed by the same blood as before, we have a new outer covering, just like the chest. We've put on Christ .. God tells us that .. and I heard it said a long time ago that a Christian should make you think of Christ. You can interpret that one of two ways, and I like both of them.

If you look at James, you can pretty well deduce that faith that doesn't generate works from you is pretty well dead, and I suspect dead faith won't get you very far. And, as someone once said, if your faith won't take you anywhere here, what makes you think it'll take you anywhere?

In the case of the chest, it's easy to see its purpose. Just walk in, open a drawer, and look.

In the case of my life, it's a little more complicated. God does, however, give us eyes to see His involvement in our lives ... Proverbs 3:5 & 6, anyone ... and here's hoping we all know our purpose. And fulfill it.

The chest is. I'm glad I refinished it.

So's Peg.

I hope God's happy He refinished me.





2 Comments:

At 3:51 PM, September 04, 2010, Blogger Aussie John said...

Bob,

Lovely job. Congratulations.

I have sawdust running through my veins and love working with wood.

It is a great pleasure to take some old workmanship and restore it.

Imagine what it will be like to have the worn out, old hinges, the muscles which have lost their elasticity, in our bodies, not only restored but made new.

Much better than any restoration job we could do!

 
At 12:39 PM, September 05, 2010, Blogger Julie said...

I was going to skip church this morning. Glad I didn't have to. Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home