Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> EAGLES' REST: Spezi ist Spitzi!

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Spezi ist Spitzi!

One day on the Pacific NW Bus Tour, we stopped in Leavenworth, Washington. That's a city that morphed itself into a Bavarian-style village when they lost the lumber industry, and subsequently the railroad, some years ago.

While there, we had lunch in Cafe Christa, which was remarkably like a certain 2nd-floor restaurant I'd eaten at in Austria, just over the border from Bavaria, 10 years ago. That's it, in the photo up there, on the 2nd floor of the dark brown building at the far right.

The next photo, on the right, is of Monica (if I recall her name correctly, which I may not), who was our waitress. During the normal table talk, I said that they need to put Spezi on the menu, if they really wanted to be Bavarian about this whole thing. She laughed and said they'd tried it, but it didn't work for some reason.

Now, I know that Cafe Christa couldn't be accurate in every way; for instance, they had a sign announcing that they had genuine "Munich Bier". While they spelled "bier" the way they would in Germany .. remember Biergartens .. they didn't spell Munich correctly for German. There, it's known as, and spelled, "Munchen".

But I don't think folks would know Munchen was Bavarian for Munich, so the effect would be lost, I guess.

Anyway I told her Spezi was sure a big thing in Bavaria, and told her of a billboard I'd seen in 2000, there in Bavaria, touting the deliciousness of Spezi.

Actually, Spezi is a mixture of half Coke and half "orange lemonade" (their term .. I think they used Fanta Orange) .. and "Spitze" means, "wild, great, too much".

I'd ordered lemonade, and when the glass was empty, Monica brought me a refill, only this time it was Spezi in a mug. And the sign applied. It WAS SPITZE!

I gave her the URL for my blog and told her to keep an eye on it. I'd post about the whole thing, as my way of thanking her for making the trip to Leavenworth a little bit more like my actual trips to Bavaria.

Quite a bit, actually.

2 Comments:

At 12:18 AM, July 17, 2010, Anonymous Audrey at Barking Mad! said...

Orange Coke!!!! Oiy! That's ...that's, well that's Coca Cola sacrilege!

Seriously, orange Coke?

And Leavenworth...I LOVE Leavenworth! Every time I would go up there (I spent A LOT of time driving the scenic loop when I lived in Redmond (just outside of Seattle), I'd stop in Leavenworth and have lunch at a little cafe in the middle of town and then drive back down the other side of Route 2 (if you went up Stevens Pass, then you know how gorgeous it is!), but before I'd leave, I'd stop just outside of Leavenworth in Cashmere, at the Applets and Cottlets place and get a box. Yum!!!!

Makes me kinda wanna go back for a visit!

 
At 3:53 AM, July 17, 2010, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

Somehow, mixing half orangeade with half coke just makes a wonderful drink. I don't suppose it'd be at all like orange flavoring (like having a cherry coke or whatever) put into one.

The little Cafe Christa was on the 2nd floor of the building right there in the middle of town by the highway, and was exactly like a cafe at which I had lunch, just over the line from Bavaria, in Austria, about 10 years ago.

Loved it then, loved it last week.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home