Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> EAGLES' REST: At Least The Executioner Is Pretty

Monday, May 03, 2010

At Least The Executioner Is Pretty

I watched the whole video of the GCRTF Report, earlier this afternoon. If I can afford to buy enough paper to feed my printer for an hour or so, I'll probably download and print it, so I can make some notes thereupon, but I must say it was well presented, artfully told, and worthy of some sort of Academy Award or other.

However, I think the content is more important than the delivery.

Mostly, the report seems a re-statement of what was revealed in the preliminary report, with a few changes. Thus my original thoughts still apply, though I do acknowledge their nod to "Regenerate Church Membership", which will presumably accomplish about as much as the motion, on that same topic, that was somewhat begrudgingly passed in Indianapolis a couple years back. BUT .. there's one thing that's been bugging me about the original and final reports, and I think I figured it out.

Both reports refer to the SBC "Celebrating the Great Commission Giving" of SBC churches. including CP funds, and designated funds and direct expenditures on missions!

For a moment, let's disregard the fact that some Task Force members didn't give very much to the CP in years past, and that perhaps the whole idea is a "palliative" for those who don't like how the CP distributes "their money", and by golly we'll show them, and take our money elsewhere. Let's just ignore that. But, consider the following Scripture:

"Would He thank the servant because he did what he was told to do? So you also, when you have done everything you were told to do, should say, 'We are unworthy servants; we have only done our duty." (Luke 17:9-10, NIV)

Where do we get the idea that we are to "celebrate" what the churches do?

I don't get it, unless it's just a way of phrasing it to get the idea onto the table.

Maybe that's just indicative of the problems in the SBC. But, I repeat, what do I know?

Not much, apparently.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home