Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Some Reasons For Not Doing Some Stuff

Like going to the SBC Convention in Orlando this year.

I'll give you a minute to regain your composure. Both of you.

First and foremost, even with reservations at the Convention Hotel, it's a long walk to the convention center. And, after that, it's a long walk around inside the convention center. I had a tough enough time in Louisville last year, where I rode the bus every time, and my arthritis is worse this year.

Then, too, we've spent most of the "mad money" we'd squirreled away for stuff like helping the grandkids and putting siding on the house. Since we're pretty much living within Social Security .. thanks, guys, you that are still paying your taxes (don't really mean to overlook President Obama's Cabinet Members, but some things can't be avoided, I guess).. we're reigning in the non-essential spending a bit.

By the way, keep them jobs and get them raises, folks, if you would. We need your money.

Where was I? Oh, yes .. we're also leaving a week after the end of SBC Orlando, to take a cruise to Alaska, which our son Brad has been yelling at us to do recommending to us, ever since he and Connie took the same cruise, a few yeas ago. Since that'll soak up a good chunk of what the Feddal Gummint is making us take out of our IRA's this year, I think we'll draw the line at stuff like the Convention. Especially since the Convention would be painful.

In ways unrelated to arthritis, too, methinks.

There's also the fact that I have two real reasons to go .. one being to speak my piece about what's going on. Particularly the message(s) I got from the GCRTF Report. I'm afraid what I'd have to say would not be popular with the GCRTF, particularly since I think they missed the boat rather grandly. And Expensively.

The other reason to go is that I like hanging around with NeatGuys, and speaking my piece to the convention. Which is precisely the wrong reason to go.

And the really big reason may be that God may not want the SBC to reform into what all the good guys think it really can be. Maybe the opportunity to change has been blown off one too many times. I can recall a certain loudmouth wise guy telling the convention in Greensboro that if the SBC itself didn't deal with certain problems, the Holy Ghost was apt to leave the premises, so to speak, and write a word over the door that they really don't want too see.

I know that guy still holds the same opinion.

But doesn't God always want us to pray that folks will come around? Doesn't He always wish for repentance and correction? Well, I know one place when He didn't.

Read the first 15 verses of Jeremiah 7, and then check this one:

"So do not pray for this people nor offer any plea or petition for them; do not plead with me, for I will not listen to you." (Jeremiah 7:16: NIV)

Nope. Not me. I'm not doing that any more. If God still wants reformation, He knows how to get it. And unless He TELLS ME to get involved, then don't look for me there.

I'll be in my recliner that week, if you need me.

7 Comments:

At 8:20 AM, March 03, 2010, Blogger Rick said...

i wish i could go to alaska...

 
At 8:21 AM, March 03, 2010, Blogger Owen Rigsby said...

Me, too!

 
At 7:42 PM, March 03, 2010, Blogger Tom Parker said...

Bob:

The sad part is that those that go to the SBC anymore just seem to rubber stamp whatever is brought up. They do not represent me and others at all.

I have observed since Greensboro, NC you really tried to bring about some positive changes in the SBC but it appears those that should listen to you simply refuse to.

 
At 8:44 PM, March 03, 2010, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

Tom, thanks for the kind words. The Bible says two witness make the deal, so I am outtathere.....

Thanks for commenting.

 
At 10:36 PM, March 08, 2010, Blogger Christiane said...

Hi BOB CLEVELAND,

I think there are many people in the SBC who need for you to be present among them. You represent something to them that is not divisive, but is Christ-honoring instead.

It is now the Lenten season. Sometimes, my people use this season as a time to 'give up' something. And sometimes we give up 'giving up'.

Don't give up.
Hang in there.
They need you, Bob.
I think you know that.

 
At 10:55 PM, March 08, 2010, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

Hi Christiane.

I appreciate your words, very much. And I have not given up.

I don't serve the SBC, I serve a risen Savior, and the message from Him is pretty clear. Let them do as they wish.

I really take Jeremiah 7:16 seriously, and it goes back to something I said in Greensboro in 2006; see Tom Parker's comment.

It's been said that, to get your watch fixed, you have to take it off your wrist and leave it with the jeweler. So I'm leaving the SBC .. in this national circus called the GCRTF .. in the hands of the Master Repairman.

But I really, really appreciate your encouragement. At my age, there's not a lot of that floating around.

By way of background, I've always been a guy who wanted to have told them so. I'm not secure enough to try to push my plans, but I want to know that "they" were warned. Some years ago, when Jimmy Swaggart had his problems, the AoG prescribed some remedial action. Swaggart responded by taking his church out of the AoG. I wrote him a personal letter and told him that rebelling against those in authority did not bode well for his ministry, and I encouraged him to repent and change his plans. He didn't, and some years later we drove by his church and what a sad sight it was.

I wrote Lester Roloff once, 30 years ago, when he made a remark about an airline clerk, for not showing Christlikeness. Never heard from him, either, which is OK, but I know at least someone warned them of the error of their ways.

I've done that, with the SBC.

:)

Thanks also for reading and commenting.

 
At 9:51 PM, March 09, 2010, Blogger Christiane said...

Hi BOB,

Ah, yes, the Master Repairman (I like to think of Him as 'the Great Physician').

Perhaps He can take the tragic situation in a Christian family like the SBC, and in time, turn it eventually for good. We know He can do this from Scripture, if it is His Will.
We see how Joseph's brothers 'sold him away' into Egypt, and yet God was able to turn what was meant for evil into good and, in time, Joseph's family and tribe were saved from famine.

Yes, I understand better now.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home