Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> EAGLES' REST: Theology from the Maximum Security Wing

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Theology from the Maximum Security Wing

I'm still writing my observations about the GCRTF Report, but something on the National Geographic Channel smacked me in the face today .. I have a TV in the garage, where I was messing with my truck .. and the minute I heard it, I knew I'd have to write about it.

They specials this afternoon, on the NatGeo Channel, were about people in prison. There were several programs about it, in a row, and I think this was a bit from "San Quentin Unlocked". They were interviewing many of the prisoners, up to and including lifers, but no one on Death Row.

I'm glad for that.

They interviewed two men in a row, both lifers. The first had been a "good prisoner", and they showed how he'd customized his cell, Some cabinets, some kitchen-type stuff so he could fix snacks, pictures on the wall, things like that. He said he'd done that to make his time there .. likely the remainder of his life .. as home-like as possible.

The very next inmate interviewed was also a lifer, but he told why he had left his cell the way it was when he got there. He'd added nothing that I could see to the bare sort of Maximum Security facility you'd expect. I cannot remember his exact words, but I sure do remember the ideas. He said something on the order of:

This place isn't my home. I'm just passing through. I don't want to do anything to make it seem like home to me.

Wow. Just .... well .... WOW.

Peg and I have talked about how much we are enjoying retirement. Enjoying our lives, as we are and where we are. And, thankfully, we're not doing all the things I suppose folks "dream of" upon retirement. Most of our jollies here are from Spiritual stuff we're involved in, and for that I'm thankful. But still .. from a lifer in Maximum Security.....

I don't want this to seem too much like home.....

1 Comments:

At 3:52 PM, February 27, 2010, Blogger Aussie John said...

Bob,

Amen!

This world is not my home, I'm just passing through.
My treasures are laid up somewhere beyond the blue.
The angels beckon me from Heaven's open door
And I can't feel at home in this world anymore.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home