Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> EAGLES' REST: Initial Reaction to the GCRTF Report

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Initial Reaction to the GCRTF Report

I've downloaded the report, scanned through it, and printed out the "Components" thereof. I want to study them a little more before I study the rest of the document further.

But I have a couple of observations right off, so I can set out making a fool of myself immediately instead of waiting until after I'm done reflecting on it.

Thought One: the most glaring failure in the SBC carrying out the Great Commission has to be that of failing to make disciples right here where we are! If we can't be trusted to do that here, why would God trust us with more people around the world? It's kind of like a hospital losing 2/3 of its patients .. which roughly equates to the members we can't find .. and the hospital saying they need to drag in some more people to solve their problems.

Thought Two: why on earth change the CP .. to include extra-CP giving? So we can cater to those who just don't want to give to the CP?

Is it possible that some of the Task Force members don't?

There's some other stuff, but I'll read the rest of it more closely first.

Oh .. I guess I need to mention that the report seemed more attuned to "soul winning" than "disciple making".

Oh well. More later.

1 Comments:

At 8:04 PM, February 23, 2010, Blogger John Notestein said...

"the most glaring failure in the SBC carrying out the Great Commission has to be that of failing to make disciples right here where we are!"

Amen to that. In my younger days in the SBC, we seemed to really do good with discipleship. Lately though, we seem to be more concerned about getting bigger numbers of members with little or no concern with their spiritual growth. Or for that matter, whether or not we ever see them again! As long as we ' got them saved' and have their names on the roll.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home