Friday, October 16, 2009

The Best Part Of The Meal Was......

Peg and I went to the Catfish Landing for lunch, today. I was hungry for catfish, and Peg likes Chopped Steak .. their Friday Plate Lunch Special .. so off we went.



Annie was our server. We'd been there before, but I don't think she'd ever served us. But when she said she'd keep bringing Hush Puppies and Slaw until we told her to quit, I knew she was my kind of server. Here she is...



When we said we were done, she brought the check. Here 'tis....




When I saw what she'd written, I asked if she meant that. She said she did, and I told her:

"That's the best part of the meal."


And it was. I asked her where she went to church, and she mentioned a Church of God of Prophecy, about 20 miles away. She said she lived in Chelsea, but it was worth the drive to go to her church. I told her I understood that, and we'd driven 20 miles for the catfish!

I don't know much about the C.O.G.O.P., don't know much about their doctrine, membership vs attendance, views on Sunday School, or anything else. But I know this was a lady, working for a living, not ashamed to just be a believer, and act like it. Since I told my SS class for years and years that we need to live our lives as believers, as open and happy about that as our career, our marital status, or anything else about us, Annie really resonated with me.

Thanks, Annie. You made my day. And despite how good the catfish was, the check really was the best part of the meal!

6 Comments:

At 9:40 PM, October 16, 2009, Blogger CB Scott said...

We should have joined you. Sounds like fun.

 
At 9:47 PM, October 16, 2009, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

CB,

That would have been nice. Pick a date.

There or anywhere. Anytime.

 
At 6:09 AM, October 17, 2009, Blogger Paul Burleson said...

Good stuff. [Your post I mean but I'll bet the catfish was too.]

 
At 3:05 PM, October 17, 2009, Blogger Aussie John said...

Bob,

The catfish in your neck of the woods must be much better than ours. The journey is a little too onerous for me to find out.

Almost worth it to meet someone who is living out their faith.

 
At 10:04 PM, October 17, 2009, Blogger John Notestein said...

I love catfish, and I love to meet Christians who live their faith. I have run into too many Christians who know all the doctrine but you can never tell it by how they treat others. Like James said, faith without works is dead.

 
At 10:16 PM, October 17, 2009, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

Paul, thanks for the kind words. And the catfish was great.

AJ, I've had a lot of fun talking servers in restaurants. One of the funnest was Autumn, a young lady who waited on us at the SBC in Indianapolis. Very few talked to her, and she worked in the convention hotel!

John, thanks for reading and commenting. And I'm with you on the walk showing the faith.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home