Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> EAGLES' REST: Wood, Concrete, the CP, and My Power Mate

Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Wood, Concrete, the CP, and My Power Mate

Yeah .. a bunch more off the top of my head.

First, we built a deck in front of our house about 20 years ago; there was no way to get from the driveway to the front door, so we built a walkway/deck up through the woods, to the front stoop. Naturally, I painted it when I built it, and now it's time to paint it again. I figured I'd use the Pressure Washer on it, rather than sand or wire-brush it, to prepare it for new paint. And I noted several things of interest when I did.

First, I had to be careful how close I got the nozzle to it. No paint could stand up to such direct contact, and it would even damage the wood, if all that power.. 3500 psi .. got too close to the wood surface.

And the LORD said, "I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, and I will proclaim my name, the LORD, in your presence. I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. But," he said, "you cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live." (Exodus 33:19-20, NIV)

Second, I bought the wood from two different places, and I noticed today that the paint held firmer to the deck floor, than to the wood on the handrails. Same kind of wood, but apparently it had been prepared differently. So I had to use the pressure washer a bit differently, with each kind, but in the end, the outcome was the same.

Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law. To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. (1 Corinthians 9:19-23, NIV)

Then I got to the sidewalk. I had a plastic border along the edges, and in cleaning the whole walk, it got pretty messy. Got me pretty messy, too, but in the end, it gave up all its dirt. And a little water from the same source, when I'd finished, cleaned me up just fine, too.

At one time we too were foolish, disobedient, deceived and enslaved by all kinds of passions and pleasures. We lived in malice and envy, being hated and hating one another. But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life. (Titus 3:3-7, NIV)

The pressure washer weighs a ton .. well, maybe 300# .. I mean, it's got a Subaru Engine fer cryin' out loud .. and I didn't want to have to even try to get it up to the uphill side of the house. It's about 10' above the downhill side .. where the lower drive is .. so we went out last night and got us a 50' extension hose. Now, it's made by someone else (DeWalt vs Coleman) and it's constructed differently .. rubber-covered vs nylon .. and I wondered if it'd work. But it hooks up the same, and it's the same inside, so it worked just fine .. and the Power Mate didn't know the difference.

Except the DeWalt hose is a whole lot stiffer and unwieldy than the Coleman hose, so tomorrow I'm going to hook it to the PowerMate and then hook the more flexible hose to it, which will make it easier wielding the wand.

The results at the driveway level will be the same either way, but the job'll get done better that way.

It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up.. (Ephesians 4:11-12, NIV)

Speaking of the GCRTF (OK so I know we weren't) ... their members and their churches' participation in the CP: I have a real beef with a lot of the guys.

They seem very self-righteously (if you can say that when they're presumably speaking on behalf of their churches..) proclaim that you have to look at all their outreach giving, and spending, and not just at the CP giving. Well .. I'm betting that many of those pastors and leaders got their education at SBC institutions of learning, and I understand that those tuitions are heavily subsidized by the Cooperative Program. So here they graduate, get into their SBC churches, and proceed to lead them away from continued support of the trough form which they fed, those years before. Does anybody else see a problem with that?

The next line of ministry to the local church, behond their own members and their local association, is the state associations. And if they're not getting value, why aren't they demanding it? We know where the state associations get their support, and their input, and it just doesn't seem right to cut them out of the loop.

Frankly, any more right than a local churchmember sending his tithe somewhere else. And I doubt any GCRTF members would think highly of that.

For it is written in the Law of Moses: "Do not muzzle an ox while it is treading out the grain." Is it about oxen that God is concerned? (1 Corinthians 9:9, NIV)

Does all this SBC stuff really have to be so utterly predictable? Last I heard, God wasn't, and neither was the Holy Spirit.

Say ... maybe there's a connection ...



2 Comments:

At 2:37 PM, September 11, 2009, Anonymous Audrey at Barking Mad! said...

We have been debating pressure washing vs. sanding the back deck and front steps porch before re-staining and sealing and I think this post just sealed the deal for us. Although, I can just see myself getting a wee bit too carried away with the pressure washer!

BTW Bob...I just wanted to say thank you. You know why. Thank you for listening and being a still small voice.

 
At 4:51 PM, September 11, 2009, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

Audrey,

I think the National Pressure Washer Manufacturers Association (if there IS one...) ought to send me a little something, don't you?

:)

And thanks for the kind words; and yes, I understand.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home