Monday, August 31, 2009

He Is Not Ashamed

Interspersed among the following paragraphs are some pictures I took recently, while visiting one of the myriad of doctors who've labored over my body from time to time. I thought you might like to see them.

As it happens, my family physician is a Christian. That's how we came to know him, in fact; we went to church with him and with his wife. His wife's name is Peggy, and his Peggy and my Peggy became very good friends over the years.

But this post isn't about him. It's about Dr. Robert Gordon Sorrell .. the Orthopedic Surgeon who did my knee replacement in April 2006. I went to him on the recommendation of my son Brian, who had worked for an Orthopedic Surgeon, and who stated Dr. Sorrell's skill set was the leading one in this area, when it came to knee replacements. As I recall, Brian also mentioned that Dr. Sorrell is a Christian.


You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Jeremiah 29:13, TNIV


I also like him because I can remember how to spell his first and middle names. They're the same as mine.

We mentioned we were believers, when we first visited him, and he did, indeed, pray with us before the surgery. But that doesn't seem to be a pushy thing with him .. he hasn't prayed with us since (which is OK), but he's the most unashamedly Christian doctor I know.


But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life...
Matthew 7:14, TNIV

In every one of his patient exam rooms, there are pictures of his family .. mostly his daughters .. and they are all laced with scriptures. While the photos included herein may not be the sharpest .. I took them with my cell phone camera .. they do reveal how "connected" with scripture he is. And, as I posted about previously, he connects the ways of his family with scripture, in a wonderful example of just how meaningful Proverbs 3:5 and 6 really are.


Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered ...
Luke 12:7a (TNIV)


Dr. Sorrell and his family aren't Baptists. I don't recall for certain, but I think they go to an independent church. I don't know if he's a partial preterist, a supra- or infra-lapsarian, holds to any of the points called calvinist, whether his church has open or closed communion, or much else about the finer points of him belief system. But I do know this: He's sure not ashamed of the Gospel of Jesus Christ .. the one that's the power of God, unto salvation!

You got to love a doctor like that. And, while he's a great physician, I figure he's also in touch with The Great Physician in a way that makes me really comfortable being treated by that Partnership.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home