Wednesday, July 29, 2009

I Looked At The Corn, And I Got To Thinking.....

Somebody's been here.

We'd been visiting with Peg's sister Anna Belle, in her home in Kirklin, Indiana, for the day. Peg's other sister, Millie, was there from Ohio, too. Nice, restful day, appropriate in light of our imminent departure tomorrow morning. But despite the fact that I was only driving back to the hotel ... most of an hour's drive ... something struck me as we drove through the cornfields of Clinton County, Indiana.

It was glaringly obvious that somebody'd been there. Sure, there was a road. But aside from that, there was all this corn growing alongside the road.

Now, I suppose that corn grew someplace, wild, untended by man, some time or other. I also suppose that's how man found it. But this was different. If you look at the picture, you'll see that there are rows .... evidences of some sort of plan. And it's planted all in a neat rectangle, on one side of the road.

There was a different crop on the other side of the road.

I'm guessing there are different types of corn out there, but this all seemed to be the same variety. But, while they all looked the same, and were close in height, density, etc, all the stalks were different.

Sort of little vegetable individualists.

I guessed they'd all been planted about the same time. Someone had to pick the time that was done, as well as the variety to be planted.

I can only imagine the power that created this corn which, when planted as a tiny kernel of seed corn, can produce such an intricate and useful product, with such consistent beauty. I further imagine that great minds were involved, since the day man first noticed it growing and figured out some use for it. I mean, there are these signs indicating what hybrid variety is planted in these fields.

And, of course, someone had to pick the best place to plant the stuff, which they apparently did quite well, as it all looked really good.

Knowing the area, I'd also hazard that someone did a lot of work on the land beforehand, and even a lot after the planting ... judging by the quality of what I saw.

Then we got into Lebanon, and I saw people.

People.

Like the ones in the Garden of Eden. Like the ones who figured out uses for this marvelous product. Like the ones who developed this variety. And like the ones who had tended the ground and planted the corn.

And I got to thinking.

Somebody's been here...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home