Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> EAGLES' REST: Blessed Redeemer. Precious Redeemer.

Monday, June 01, 2009

Blessed Redeemer. Precious Redeemer.



Blessed Redeemer! Precious Redeemer!
Seems now I see Him on Calvary's tree;
Wounded and bleeding, for sinners pleading,
Blind and unheeding, dying for me!


I started out to write a post this morning, about the condition of society. In part, it was motivated by GM's filing for bankruptcy protection this morning, and in part, it was prompted by an editorial I read to my SS class yesterday, about how "easily America was voluntarily giving up democracy". Although the editorial was riddled with self-serving propaganda, by the ones who published it, there was still a lot of truth to it.

It was published by Pravda. The Russian newspeople.

But then I went up to the auto parts store to get some stuff, and all the way there and all the way back, I couldn't get the song "Blessed Redeemer" out of my mind. The chorus just kept running through there, and I couldn't stop it. So I knew I had to write about it.

By way of explanation, I cannot sing that song. Oh, it was easy enough to sing, right up until the day I met Jesus. Face-to-face. The day I was hit by the reality of my personal guilt for what happened to Him at, and on His way to, Calvary.

Now? I don't even try to sing it. The moment that song begins, the world's biggest lump forms in my throat, and some of the biggest tears in the world form in my eyes, and I just know I have no chance of getting words out, at all.

My personal wish is that everyone who claims Him as Savior would experience the personal guilt for what happened to Jesus, and that it not be some sort of initiation "rite". Only after that happened to me, did I really appreciate the enormity of the forgiveness of the Master, and it comes back to me whenever I even think of the words to "Blessed Redeemer".

FBC Pelham had communion service yesterday. It was the usual. But I don't think I really celebrated it as I should have. See ... we were all sitting there looking just like we had, all morning long, and we heard the words of what we were doing, but I don't think we realized just what a radical thing it was. We were just ... believers.

I don't know how I pictured myself, before. It's been too long ago that I had that meeting with Him. But I know what I really am like.

I'm the other guy in the picture above. And if I don't look like that to the church, the world, or to God, it's only because of that guy off in the distance, in the picture.

The Blessed Redeemer.

2 Comments:

At 3:22 PM, June 01, 2009, Blogger Aussie John said...

Bob,

Thanks Bob! You and I, both! Such an amazing blessing and privilege! Even to write that sounds so weak and insufficient.

John Newton was sooooo right! Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound!

 
At 7:31 AM, June 16, 2009, Blogger Ken Hearn said...

"I'm on the battle field for my Lord". That's one of my favorites.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home