Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> EAGLES' REST: The Most Liberating Thought I Know

Friday, June 26, 2009

The Most Liberating Thought I Know

Obey God, and trust Him with the results.

The Convention was interesting, partially because I saw evidence of people, primarily highly-placed people, acting to manipulate the results. Well, as I mentioned to a friend in an email yesterday, the preparation is done, timed-bake is on, and something's going to pop out of the oven in 12 months. The results of that will tell whether the perceived manipulation was "successful".

In my brief encounter with All Things SBC, Annual Meeting Version, I've simply done what I thought God wanted me to do. That entailed, two of four years, speaking to the convention. Not, however, this year or last. And that's fine with me. If God had wanted me to say or do something, I would've (he said confidently, recalling 2006, 2007, and the fact that His saving grace isn't the only thing He does that's irresistible).

If we really believe God is sovereign, and that He wants to use us, and that He is in control of things down here, then why would we worry about results? I know it's natural to want to see this person saved, that person kick drugs, the church over there to be blessed and grow, some person or another elected, but as He's pointed out, we don't even know what to pray for! So, why would we trust what we want? Why wouldn't we trust whatever God wants to do? Why wouldn't we want to simply do what He says, and leave the outcome all up to Him?

Some of the neatest things He's ever done in my life followed my refusal to do anything to make something happen. And, I have the same feeling now, as I did then, with reference with what God is about to do in, for, and perhaps to the Southern Baptist Convention.

And BLESSING may not be included.

Stay tuned. I'm ready for Orlando.

1 Comments:

At 2:47 PM, June 28, 2009, Blogger Aussie John said...

Bob,

You said, "...I saw evidence of people, primarily highly-placed people, acting to manipulate the results."

That was the only kind of Convention I ever attended. They are called Annual Assemblies in Australia.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home