Tuesday, May 12, 2009

My Cup .. Once Again .. Still .. Running Over

I reflected a fair amount, yesterday, on my last day of being 70. And, considering what all went on during the year, I suppose turning 71 ought to be a welcome relief. And, indeed, it is, as is every year (when you're as ancient as yours truly).

One of the things I considered was the promise I stumbled onto in the Bible, perhaps 40 years ago:

And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life.
(Matthew 19:29, KJV .. well.. that IS what I was reading at the time...)

I recall telling God, right then, that I wanted in on this promise. That I was yielding up everything I had, to Him, and that whatever He wanted to do with them was fine with me.

So as I was sitting in the garage this morning, putting some cute letters on the side of Taz, several things came crystal clear to me. And I knew I had to write about them.

First, I heard doves cooing somewhere, and that took me back to the days of my childhood, when we used to visit Aunt Marcella in Indianapolis, on spring break. There would always be doves in the belfry of Hillcrest Baptist Church, directly across Villa Ave. from their house, and when we were playing in the yard, they were quite noticeable. The nice memories of that home, of Pleasant Run (a creek directly across the parkway from their house), and memories of Grandma and Grandpa Tanner's little half-duplex with its pot-belly stove and Grandpa's Craftsman Tool Catalogs, 2 blocks away on the corner of Minnesota Ave. And THAT took me back to V-J day, when I was 7, and we ran over to the church to help ring the bell to celebrate the end of The War. Such wonderful memories of times which were a lot more terrific than I realized.

Then I heard Peg walking around upstairs, making my favorite lunch (Barbecued Corned Beef and Bread Pudding) and thought how blessed I've been to have been married to a Proverbs 31 woman for 50 years. And right about that time, the WeedWhacker fired up; grandson Matthew getting ready to trim the lawn he'd just mowed for us. We do have terrific Grandkids .. Matthew, with an Associate Degree in Computer Science, and now studying to be an elementary school teacher .. and Meredith with her B.A. in Theology and studying for her Master's at Union University's extension of the SBTS Campus.

Then I thought back to last evening, and a chat session with a dear friend on Facebook. We'd spotted each other and he had some exciting news to share, but also was having some problems, with reference to church. God seems to have given me something for him last evening, and we ended the session with rejoicing maybe an hour later.

I am always simply bowled over when God selects me for a task He wants done...

Then a bit ago I came upstairs and found 25 new EMail messages, mostly friends wishing me Happy Birthday. And most of them are people I've not met, personally, but with whom I've made friends over the past few years at blogging and commenting here and there. That's pretty neat, and reminds me of what an advantage we have over prior generations, when folks' circle of friends was pretty limited, geographically.

Right after that, I had my favorite lunch, with Peg and Matthew and Matthew's daddy .. our older son .. Brian. And I was reminded of how blessed I am with my family.

And that made me think back to last evening, when Connie .. Brad's wife .. called to inquire what we were doing for lunch today .. she wanted to make sure something was being done for my birthday. That branch of the family blessed me, too.

Then, on to a funeral for the Mother of one of my best friends, Neal Blackwelder. Brother Sam Neugent, formerly our worship and missions leader, conducted the graveside service. Wow .. He and I go back 22+ years, and goodness-knows-how-many mission trips.

More reminders of how many friends God has given me, in the process of keeping a promise He made to me some 40 years ago.

Not only has my cup been running over for all these years, but God's surely given me one of the biggest cups on record.

Overflowing.

7 Comments:

At 9:05 PM, May 12, 2009, Blogger Paul Burleson said...

Bob,

You are indeed a blessed man. Happy birthday.

 
At 11:48 PM, May 12, 2009, Blogger Chris Ryan said...

Happy birthday.

And as blessed as you are, thanks so much for the blessing you are to us.

 
At 9:16 AM, May 13, 2009, Blogger Rick said...

Bob,
Thanks for sharing your blessings!

 
At 2:11 PM, May 13, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bob, you are a blessing to so many who you do not even know...may this next year be your greatest ever!! Happy Birthday!

Ron Fisher

 
At 3:17 PM, May 13, 2009, Blogger Aussie John said...

Bob,

Belated, happy birthday!

It seems you did, indeed, have a happy birthday. You are a year older than I. No wonder I enjoy the wisdom I see in your words.

Isn't our Father good beyond imagining? I'm looking forward to what you have to say until No.72.

 
At 12:18 PM, May 15, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Mighty!
:)
May you continue to be blessed, even as u are a blessing!
izzy

 
At 7:50 AM, May 18, 2009, Blogger Ken Hearn said...

And I too am blessed with you in my life.
And tell Peg Tina said the same thing about her. She knows God has placed Peg in her life for a reason.

We appreciste you both for living what you believe.

Happy belated birthday.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home