Monday, May 04, 2009

Me & Rodney Dangerfield

We don't get no respect, especially not on May 12, 1978.

Now, you might wonder how I remember that.

Easy. It was my birthday. The deal was, I was traveling on business, and headed back home when a guy across the O'Hare Gate caught my eye and came over and said he thought he recognized me. We chatted about it and decided that the only way we'd ever had any contact at all was that we both flew around a lot, especially up and down the East coast.

By way of explanation, I was Marketing VP of a company that had reps all over the country, which took me to 100 different airports over 9 years. So we'd probably seen each other in airports, or on airplanes.

Anyway, he was on his way back home to Charlotte NC, and I was headed here to Birmingham. We laughed and chatted a minute; then they called his flight and he left. But he gave me his newspaper.

My intellectual prowess revealed itself and I immediately turned to the cartoon section; my first read was Crock, my favorite.

Now remember .. this was May 12, 1978. I'd been born May 12, 1938. Do the math.

Keep that in mind as you check out that day's episode of Crock.




Like I said: no respect.

2 Comments:

At 3:52 PM, May 04, 2009, Blogger Aussie John said...

Bob,

What does that say to we septagenarians? We're not only invisible, but don't even exist!

 
At 4:25 PM, May 04, 2009, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

We're 175% of whatever it is we were, when we were 40.

:)

I like what George Burns said when he turned (I believe it was) 81. He said "I'm every bit as good at 81 as I was at 18.

Which gives you an idea how sorry I was when I was 18."

Amen.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home