Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> EAGLES' REST: COULD IT BE........

Saturday, April 25, 2009

COULD IT BE........

..... that what's thought of as a "Great Commission Resurgence" would actually be a "Great Evangelism Resurgence"?

It seems to me that the great commission was to make disciples. Discipleship. And I have to ask how good we, as Baptists, are at making disciples.

Our church has gotten pretty good at discipleship training .. we typically have nearly as many "seat sessions" .. people there, counted individually each time we have a meeting ... in discipleship training as we do in Sunday School (generally regarded as an indicator of how many were in church).

It occurs to me that the biblical model is to follow Jesus when God brings you into the flock. It also occurs to me that our emphasis ... "priesthood of the believer", anyone? ... has been for US to knock on doors and invite them in, and then leave it to the new member to get involved in actually becoming a disciple.

So then ... is it going to be ...

  • We bring them in, and God disciples them.... or
  • God brings them in, and WE disciple them?
I heard Mark Dever talk about Church Discipline, in Greensboro (if I recall correctly). He said the model has been we need to keep the front doors of the church open, but close the back door ... too many folks join the church, take their seat, and then drop out . Mark said maybe we had it backwards .. maybe if we shut the FRONT door, opened the back door, and then taught the folks inside how we should REALLY live ... if we did that, then maybe when we opened the front doors up, the folks outside would know something worth doing was going on inside, and would want to be a part.

I believe his point was that we cannot teach people how to live their faith, without church discipline. Just this past Thursday, Dave Ramsey said it's the fear of failure that drives people toward excellence. WELL ... and this thought just now entered my brain-space .. with our doctrine of eternal security, and its prominence in Baptist life, I don't see where there is any "fear of failure" among baptists, particularly not out there in the pews where folks like me and Peg live.

Hmmm .. I speak from ignorance. I don't know what a Great Commission Resurgence looks, taste, smells, or feels like. But I sure hope it's about making disciples, and not about beating our folks over the head to do more of what it was that got us where we are, in the SBC, today.

2 Comments:

At 7:59 AM, April 30, 2009, Blogger Caution Flag said...

I've had it up to my eyeballs in the counting that goes on in church. My child recently brought several friends to a youth activity. We got a call from the church secretary a few days later asking for the names of those kids - not to contact them with a follow-up but to be able to add their names to the attendance sheets. Okay, I'm done complaining for a minute or two now.

 
At 8:10 AM, May 18, 2009, Blogger Ken Hearn said...

I was just listening the a song by Casting Crowns, "Let my life song sing to you", and just wondering.

What does a "life song" sound like that has no fear of failure? Is it truly living what you believe or living the way you want?

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home