Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> EAGLES' REST: I'm Being Interviewed.....

Thursday, January 15, 2009

I'm Being Interviewed.....

...by Denise Matthews Souder, a blogger from Humble, Texas. We hang around some of the same blogs, and she said she wanted to interview five mentally challenged people wackos bloggers, and I volunteered.

At my age, this is about the only form of exhibitionism that's safe for me.

Ahem.

Anyway, here goes. Bear with me .. there are only five questions.

  1. "Who gave you the best advice you ever had? What was it?" Consistently, my mentor from a spiritual standpoint was Charlie Spicer, a dear friend who died a few years ago. But the best specific advice I recall came from my Dad, on the occasion of my quitting college after 1-1/2 unsuccessful years. In 1958. I told him I wanted to get a job and work; he responded by saying "Be sure you get a job you can turn into a career. So I passed up several better-paying jobs driving a truck, etc, and took one as a mailboy at an insurance company. I ended a nearly-50-year career in that industry last February.
  2. The best place you've traveled so far? First, I'd say the Red Hills community, just outside Kingston, Jamaica. We've been there a dozen times, and we helped ... some of us from our church ... build a Sunday School & Community Outreach Building there, and we have many dear, dear friends there. But I'd also mention a trip to Puerto Jimenez, Costa Rica, to a little cabin on the beach about 10 years ago . An absolutely outstanding vacation, and the only one we've ever taken where I didn't do anything for a week. And no TV. Then again, I really ought to include a certain Russia and Latvia trip, a visit to Hong Kong and Red China, and a few others.
  3. "Who would you most like to invite to dinner? What would you talk about? Probably Dr. Paige Patterson, President of Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary. I'd like talk about what's going on in the Southern Baptist Convention. Either him or Stephen Wright.
  4. "Why did you start blogging? What do you like about it?" I started when Rev. Wade Burleson caused somewhat of a stir at the International Mission Board, on behalf of some principles with which I agree, and blogged about it as part of his duty to keep the people, whom he represented, informed. I got acquainted with him via his blog and, as I like to write (and do write poetry), I thought is seemed like a neat thing. I keep on doing it mostly because I get occasional feedback from folks who say I've said something that was meaningful for them.
  5. "I've never been to the South. What's the food like?"About what you'd expect. Go eat at Cracker Barrel .. that's pretty much it. Except A) There's no good BBQ anywhere except the South; B) BBQ means ribs. Or pork. Smoked. C) Grits aren't any better here than in the North, unless you do stuff to them. Like cheese, tabasco, etc. Then they're good; and D)"Tea" means Iced Tea, sweetened. If you want it hot or unsweetened, you have to say so.

1 Comments:

At 11:47 PM, January 17, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Question number three really stands out to me..."Who would I most like to invite to dinner?" (not knocking your answers,but she did say anyone).
There are actually several. One of my choices would be the apostle Paul. I would like to know just what was the thorn in his side? Another would be Jonah. What was it actually like in the belly of a whale? Possibly another would be Moses. I'd ask him just how it was talking to God, and have Him answer.

Prayer:"God, help me be more sensitive to your nudging, more humble to your correction, and more able and willing to accept the journey (task) that you have given me. Help me to accept the circumstances I'm in, all the while not asking "why me" but asking "God, what can I learn from this?" Amen

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home