Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> EAGLES' REST: It's Hard To Call This A "Changing Paradigm"...."

Monday, June 23, 2008

It's Hard To Call This A "Changing Paradigm"...."

Isn't it? Or, for that matter, anything similarly esoteric.

I grew up about the time WWII ended and the Cold War ... and the Iron Curtain ... grew. I used to listen to bombers flying over Chicago and wonder if they were Russians. Needless to say, I was not fond of the USSR; that was all shot out of the water when I went on mission trips to Russia and Latvia about 10 years ago.

I've already blogged a bit about that, here.

Anyhoo, not only did I meet folks in Russia and Latvia that I came to love quickly, there are now emerging, in Russia, and concerning Russians, things I would never have dreamed possible.

This video on YouTube is an example. If you search on "Leningrad Cowboys" on the site, you can even find longer and more inclusive versions of the same song, "Sweet Home Alabama". Naturally, being from the Birmingham area, it's of interest to me; but couple that with my childhood, my preconceived notions about Russians, and the inclusion of the Red Army Choir (yes, that's really what it is, or was) along with the Finnish rock band, it points out the changes in the world today as little else does, for me.

And the fact that I can even watch it.

What struck me this time as I viewed it was that people are people everywhere. Those folks behave about the same way us jenn-you--whine Americans would. Only maybe better (at least better than a LOT of us). They play the instruments and express themselves just about the same way folks from other countries do.

Others have posted about this video, but I'm sitting and recuperating and don't have a lot else to do. Besides, I like watching it.

I hope you do, too, so go check it out.


Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 7:00 PM, June 23, 2008, Anonymous Tiger Lamb Girl said...

Me thinks you left a deep impression when you went to Russia. No?

;)

 
At 8:49 PM, June 23, 2008, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

Don't know whether I did or not ... I'll have to leave that to others to describe. But one of these days I'll post a couple minutes of video or their students singing a song they'd learned in English, just for us.
there's one young lady named Galya Galkina in the video that I'd had a conversation with two years before, that was significant to me.

But I certainly appreciate the thought, ma'am.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home