Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> EAGLES' REST: Aim Low, Boys, They're Ridin' Shetland Ponies

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Aim Low, Boys, They're Ridin' Shetland Ponies

And that's where the feet are, anyway.

My younger son .. mid-40's ... was the technical services director for a computer software and networking company. Big folks. They got bought out and in an apparent "streamlining" move, my son's boss was let go.

They were good friends.

Management thought, with reference to my son, "He is in such an important position, and he & his boss were good friends, so he'll probably quit over the firing. We'd better move him to a less sensitive position." So they promoted (?) him to manager of some operations in remote states, and cut up my son's team of employees. As a result of the impossibility of managing the remote operations (run by people who needed supervision), my son quit and went to work elsewhere.

His former employers have shot themselves in the foot. They caused, by their own actions, what they feared.

When the devil beset Job, he shot himself in the foot. I mean, how many millions have gained strength by seeing God there, amidst all the tragedy?

When the devil prompted Pilate to mockingly paint "The King of the Jews" to put over Jesus' head on the cross, he shot himself in the foot. One of the thieves apparently saw the sign and realized Jesus was the King.

And when Jesus was crucified, the devil shot himself in the head.

You've read the bible. Fill in some more blanks if you need more evidence.

The SBC Powers Who Be Aren't are shooting themselves, as well as about 8 million** SBC'ers, in the collective foot. They seem unable to see (or perhaps to care about) that .

Do you HONESTLY thing God reveres the SBC highly enough to clean up the messes they've created? I don't. And one of the reasons I think that, is that the SBC and its entities have taken some, maybe a lot of, credit for the increase God has given, and that ONLY He can give ("The Crown Jewel in God's Evangelism Efforts", anybody?).

And, now that the Klouda suit was dismissed, I feel more certain than ever, of that. I am no prophet and don't pretend to be, but I cannot conceive that God is in how things were handled, and particularly not in the mistreatment and dismissal of Dr. Klouda. Absolutely not. And the lawsuit's dismissal tells me that God won't correct the course of the SBC by correcting the problems which caused Dr. Klouda to be so mistreated.

I think He's just letting those in positions of authority do what is right in their own sight, and I think the results, for the SBC, will be just as (eventually) dramatic as they were in the days of Noah.

And just as dramatic as they were for Israel, when they rejected and crucified Jesus. Only this time, I don't think there are 1878 years left in which to set things right.

**ps: I know the purported number of SBC members is 16.5 million, but I'm only counting the ones we can find.

8 Comments:

At 9:05 PM, March 20, 2008, Blogger Scotte Hodel said...

While resting at home I watched some video from last year's convention. On the truth in membership motion one opposing speaker said "This sounds like someone telling me what to do."

Ironic in a denomination that preaches obedience.

 
At 9:10 PM, March 20, 2008, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

Hi Scotte. I hope and pray you are on the mend, for real.

Thanks for the comment. You are so right about the speakers last year .. if you haven't heard Dr. Mohler's "report" about (or not) Southern, it sounds a whole lot like what you said.

 
At 9:27 PM, March 20, 2008, Blogger Scotte Hodel said...

I watched Dr. Mohler's speech as well.

Again, obedience is fine - provided it's not required for the leadership. He was mostly ok until he got specific about who we don't want - glossolalia people.

 
At 1:37 PM, March 21, 2008, Blogger CB Scott said...

Bob,

A very thought provoking post. At the same time it makes one very aware of the possible results of our collective actions. Those possibilities are somewhat frightening.

cb

 
At 1:48 PM, March 21, 2008, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

CB,

Thanks. In the context of the Bible, human nature, etc etc, the word would be "expectable".

As to the SBC, I have one comment further to yours:

Somewhat?!?!

 
At 5:18 PM, March 21, 2008, Blogger foolery said...

Bob,

Off-topic, so I'll be brief:

You are a joy. Thanks for your always delightful comments!

Laurie @ Foolery

 
At 7:26 PM, March 21, 2008, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

Thanks, Laurie. I tell my wife people think I'm pretty funny but she always says "Looks aren't everything ....."

 
At 12:17 PM, March 22, 2008, Blogger Abbreviated said...

Your membership numbers are probably high. Instead of halving maybe 2/3ing ? Our rolls show 800+ members, but have 150-200 in Sunday AM. Less in Sunday School.

I will able to air my complaints about our association to state people who are coming. Not really into meetings. Would rather email my thoughts.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home