Tuesday, February 05, 2008

The Kingdom Symphony: Bach To The Basics

I woke up this morning, (thanks, God) thinking about Symphony Orchestras and the SBC. Here's what came to mind:

A Symphony Orchestra is composed of many different instruments. Instruments of different kinds. Played by different people. Playing different parts. Lots and lots, of each sort.

There are violins, which generally lead the way ... I mean, the First Chair Violin is usually the "Concert Master", right? ... but there are other violinists and some play other parts than the melody.

There are several other stringed instruments, too. They play supporting parts, in harmony with the melody, and occasionally even play melody, too.

I played the sax in High School, so reeds come to mind next. There's a bunch of them, too, and they play their own parts.

Same with woodwinds, etc. All the different groupings, sections, and instruments have their own part.

Then there's percussion. They set the pace for everybody.

I'm missing some, I'm sure. But last, I'll mention the Conductor and the Composer and the Arranger. In the imaginary Spiritual Symphony, they're all the same Person. I envision God as the Great Composer, the Holy Ghost as the Great Arranger, and Jesus Himself as the one and only Conductor we're supposed to follow.

Now, I mention Bach because I absolutely love how he weaves together such an impressive array of differing parts, harmonies, and rhythms into such a magnificent whole. The Brandenburg Concerto was the first Bach I ever got into, and I still hear things I never heard before when I hear it.

The work of the Kingdom is just as beautiful, and infinitely moreso, when we work with the same sort of harmony that the Vienna Philharmonic had when I first heard them play Bach in the fall of 1956 in West Lafayette, Indiana. But the individual "orchestra" members have to want to harmonize with and respect all the others in the orchestra. And stop complaining about their parts, too.

In my Junior year in High School, I was in the marching band. During the winter, we played concert numbers. I recall one day we were playing some jazz number that we all loved. The band director had Mickey Meese do an alto sax solo, one of those ad lib flights he used to do; then Dave Croner did one on his trumpet. On the last chorus, the director told everybody to do their own ad lib. Play whatever we wanted.

I STILL laugh about what followed. It was hilarious. There was no harmony, no tune, no song at all.

God gave us the score. God provides the direction. We know the last chapter, and where we're going. So we need to stick to our part, and quit tossing out instruments we don't like. We're not the composer or arranger of God's Symphony.

SO .. all you bigwigs: listen up: Quit trying to rewrite the score, disqualifying instruments you don't like, and acting like you're the Composer or the Arranger. Or even the Conductor. Those jobs are taken, and you ain't it.

In Jesus' Orchestra, we're ALL playing second fiddle.

3 Comments:

At 8:52 AM, February 06, 2008, Blogger LindaSueBuhl said...

I'm not in the SBC. Listening to news this week and so saddened by the reports. One friend of mine talked about nearly bleeding to death from sheep bites (as we are the flock and to follow the shepherd - or the conductor in your illustration). Damaging the body isn't new sin (I know = Solomon covered that in Ecclesiastes) but still IS sin isn't it? Good illustration saxist Bob - I vote for the Conductor, Arranger and Composer being in charge and I don't play anything but the radio!

 
At 9:26 PM, February 06, 2008, Blogger Ken Hearn said...

Ya know,
God can truly make beautiful music in our lives when he is not just resident in our lives but President in our lives.
Hope to see you soon Bob.

 
At 6:23 PM, February 08, 2008, Blogger KellyJean said...

I love your analogies.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home