Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> EAGLES' REST: I Retired, But I Didn't Stop Thinking

Saturday, February 02, 2008

I Retired, But I Didn't Stop Thinking

OK, so I retired.

I entered the workforce .. many of whom don't seem to .. in January 1958, after I'd dropped out of my second try at my first year of college. After knocking around a couple auto dealership jobs, I went to work at an insurance company, as a mailboy. The rest is, as they say, history.

Peg and I could scrape by on Social Security .. thanks, all you folks still sending them money .. and with our Simple Retirement Plan, a couple IRA's, and our savings, we ought to do OK. So, lacking any sort of ceremony at the office (other than handing the boss my key), the family got together for dinner last night at Firebird's Grille in Hoover. CB & Karen Scott joined us, and we had a great time.

For now at least, I'm a full-time Sunday School Teacher.

So .. what have I kept on thinking about?

First, about Wade Burleson and his resignation from the IMB BoT. We tend to read about people and their actions, and then we manufacture them in our minds to suit our own opinions and predispositions. Occasionally, we get to actually meet the person and find they're not quite like that guy in our mind. Well, I've spent a reasonable amount of time around Rev. Burleson, and find him to be just what he represents himself to be. I've never sensed any ulterior motive in what he's doing, and I personally agree with what he's trying to accomplish. So, count me on his side in all this.

As to the IMB BoT, I think their actions speak for themselves. Rev. Burleson has been most charitable in his description of their actions, and I'm not sure I would have been. I think how they have handled all the mess involving him smells to high heaven, and just like the pharisees of old, they're cloaking their misdeeds in an aura of religious righteousness. I think judgment will be, for them, harsh.

The other thing I've been thinking about is the predicted candidacy of Dr. Al Mohler for the Office of SBC President. Now, I'm a Calvinist and he seems to be one, too. So I'd figure I'd be for him, right?

Wrong. The SBC is not a Convention, or Association, of Calvinists. Or non-Calvinists. It's a grouping of SBC Churches. It was organized to facilitate certain actions by churches, not to facilitate actions by colleges or seminaries. The churches don't report to the SBC entities, it's supposed to be the other way around. So, the President ought to come from the ranks of the churches, not from the seminaries.

That's wholly aside from the obvious real or implied conflict of interest which has been voiced in lots of other blogs. And it's wholly aside from any other problems Dr. Mohler might or might not have.

During his June 2007 speech nominating Jim Richards for the office of SBC Vice-President, Mac Brunson said (actually shouted) repeatedly that we ought to elect Jim Richards because he's "one of us!"

That sounds like a decent reason to elect a pastor of a local church to the office of President of the SBC. UNLESS .... the powers who be now think that "us" really means those on the inside of the political inner circle, rather than those people for whose benefit, and of whose flesh & blood, the SBC was formed.

4 Comments:

At 11:09 PM, February 02, 2008, Blogger Les Puryear said...

Congratulations on your retirement, Bob. We're looking forward to great things from you now that you've got more time. :)

Les

 
At 11:48 PM, February 02, 2008, Blogger Dori said...

Bob for SBC President!

I just know that is why you retired at this time. Right?

Once you finish writing your campaign speech, e-mail it to me ... I'll throw in some newsworthy editing. :)

Dorcas

 
At 6:25 PM, February 08, 2008, Blogger KellyJean said...

cOgRaTuLaTiOnS on your retirement Bob!!!

 
At 1:03 AM, February 26, 2008, Blogger Aussie John said...

Bob,

Welcome to the club. Just came across your blog and you seem to think like this old retiree from the democratic processes of Baptist political machinations.

Actually I couldn't bear the smell, in the Australian counterpart, some years ago and was graciously led to finish my pastoral leadership days in a precious independent congregation.

They were known as "the people of the Book" when my wife and I were baptized nearly half a century ago. Now the political appointees, even decide who a congregation can invite to minister to the congregations.

They seem to read that Book very differently these days.

May the Lord continue to use you in your "retreaded" years.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home