Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> EAGLES' REST: 35mm Slide Trays In A 2-Megapixel .JPG World

Thursday, February 28, 2008

35mm Slide Trays In A 2-Megapixel .JPG World

Since I retired the first of this month, I've been busily scanning 35mm 2X2 slides into my computer. I had a couple thousand of them that I'd taken, dating back to the late 1950's, and I also inherited a roughly equal number from my Dad some years ago.

Now, unless you are older'n dirt like I am, you are probably not familiar with 35mm slides. They're positive-film snapshots in little cardboard frames, that you show with a slide projector (or view with a little backlit handheld viewer). The projector, of course, calls for setting up a 4' square screen along with the projector, darkening the room, and using a bunch of juice powering the megawatt room heater masquerading as the bulb in the projector. Watching slides was roughly equivalent to a night out. But usually without the fun stuff. Or popcorn.

The picture above is of an Argus slide tray, designed to hold the slides so the Argus projector can run them through and slide them in front of the lamp so it can throw the beam up on the screen. In the Argus system, the slides were manually inserted in those little aluminum frames for protection and to ease the machine ramming them home, and dragging them back out.

Now the slide scanner calls for me to take out the slide, from the little frame it's in, and insert each one into the scanner. Individually. Oh, there are add-on contraptions to do that automatically, but they're rather pricey so I figured, being retired and all, I'd just do that sitting here. And it's been fun, anyway, as I get a chance to look at each slide as I do the work.

I had briefly discussed keeping the slide trays, but they are a lot of work to use and I don't have a working slide projector. What with technology and all, even this po' boy can scan the pictures in, sort them by date order or activity, call up any one for viewing, and see them any time I want. Daylight or dark, too.

It would be really stupid to insist on keeping the slide projector, slides, screen, and all that, when the objective is to look at the pictures, wouldn't it? Why perpetuate a system in the name of sentimentality or tradition, when simple, affordable alternatives exist?

I'm up to 3,518 pictures scanned in, so far, and I have 288 to go. Not to mention a printed picture collection downstairs, which I will start scanning in when I get done with the slides. I think there are thousands of them, too.

Which brings me to my point. Just as my objective is to be able to look at, and preserve, pictures in the best and most usable way, shouldn't our goal at the SBC be, to get the gospel out, to make disciples of all nations, in the best and most efficient, effective way? And to conduct the business necessary to support that, in the best way possible?

I wonder if we're doing that...

OK. That's all. I have to finish my slides and pictures so I can get out my Christmas present ... a computer-interfaced record turntable complete with diamond stylus and USB cable ... so I can get to work making .mpg files out of all my LP's and Stereo records from the 1950's. I got a bunch of THEM, too.

21 Comments:

At 3:42 PM, February 29, 2008, Blogger Around The Funny Farm said...

Thank you for visiting my simple blog.

I can see your way ahead of me as far as photo skills too!

Beth

 
At 3:57 PM, February 29, 2008, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

Hi Beth. Thanks for stopping in and commenting.

I really don't have is skills with photography. What I DO have is a TON of experience taking pictures. But I just point & shoot.

God bless...

 
At 2:38 PM, March 01, 2008, Anonymous becca said...

I see your comments on Wade's site often... imagine my surprise when I read one on Pioneer Woman Cooks!

 
At 3:21 PM, March 01, 2008, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

Becca,

Thanks for looking in and commenting.

I comment more on Wade's (and my other SBC frends') blogs, but I gotta tell you .. I was gone for a week, away from email, and the ladies at PW's blog all wondered where I was. They said they were worried, and I guess they should have been. I was at a conference of Calvinists and Baptists.

Goodness!

 
At 5:08 PM, March 01, 2008, Anonymous becca said...

That is really funny. I can't imagine there are too many people who intersect on both Wade's blog AND PWC! I don't thik I have ever commented on her site, and usually don't even read the comments... but read one thread b/c I was curious to see if someone would explain the differenct b/t crescent dough and puff pastry :)

 
At 5:54 PM, March 01, 2008, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

Becca,

I'm no chef nor pastry expert, but the puff pastry I've had, has been much flakier, almost like a cross between, say, a cinnamon roll dough and pie crust.

Other than that, the difference is that I like crescent roll stuff (my wife wraps them around hot dogs and makes pigs-in-a-blanket, and I like them. I don't like puff pastry.

 
At 6:16 PM, March 01, 2008, Anonymous Lee said...

Wow. Over 4,000 slides and you got it done in about a month. That was fast.

As far as the SBC goes, in terms of the application of available technology goes, I think it may be further behind than 35mm slides are in the computer age. We do have the POTUS address the convention via satellite, because the logistics of having him appear for 5 minutes in person are rather cumbersome. The technology exists to podcast the convention, and that's been done. But no one wants to explore the idea of elected messengers simply logging on to their computer, or going to a church in their community where the proceedings are being displayed on a large screen, and the messengers are gathering in dozens or even hundreds of locations spread out across the country. Verifying credentials and receiving ballots is an easy task for something like that. For some reason, we're still stuck on the idea of pilgrimage to Mecca every summer, with Mecca being whichever city the committee picks. There is obviously more than one reason for the declining turnout of messengers to do convention business, not the least of which is probably apathy over the cut and dried manner in which things have been handled in recent years. Why go, if you don't think your presence will make a difference? But I think the price of gas, airfare, and paying three times as much for a hotel room near the convention center that isn't any nicer than the Best Western on the interstate is also a deterrent to attendance, especially at a meeting where two thirds of the participants qualify for social security and medicare benefits.

That may not be where you were headed, but every time someone talks to me about Baptist conventions and technology, that's the first thing I think of. The last year that I taught in public school, the alternative high school I taught in had three campuses, one in Houston, one in San Antonio and one in McAllen, and we had joint faculty meetings. It can be done, easily, with little expense, probably less than what it costs to pull off a convention in a major city, and it would open the door to a lot more participation. That could be why the current leadership hasn't made much progress toward implementing it.

 
At 8:17 PM, March 01, 2008, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

Lee: Yup, there and lots of other places.

Think of how churches could cooperate and send missions, disciple believers, and all the other things that the SBC does not, without all the huge monuments we've built. If we could do that, somebody will, and we could be disassembling all this stuff and focusing on the job better, IMHO.

 
At 11:00 AM, March 02, 2008, Blogger LindaSueBuhl said...

IMHO - we (all organized Christian bodies) do too much church - the bidness and structure and maintaining of "Church" - not the simple things we were given scripturally (I still don't find a scripture that commands committee meetings!).
The idea of virtual meetings is responsible, efficient use of resources. As usual, Bob, you gave us a good overview of the slides and pictures to usable images - in a way conducive to discussion of being usable - whether image or not.

 
At 12:36 PM, March 02, 2008, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

Thanks, Linda. My favorite view of Meetings is the Despair.com sign that says:

"None Of Us Is As Dumb As All Of Us"

Can I get an amen?

 
At 9:06 PM, March 02, 2008, Blogger LindaSueBuhl said...

Amen and a big old DUH! You might appreciate some earthy humor - unfortunately I didn't have a camera handy but was in traffic behind what I think y'all would politely call a septic servicing truck - anyhooo Big official lettering on the back of it - Stay Back - Carrying full load of Political Promises!
Yes siree -

 
At 9:14 PM, March 02, 2008, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

Hi Linda,

In some circles, those trucks are known as "Honey Wagons". And in Europe, if what I've heard is true, they even use it for fertilizing crops over there.

Yuck.

 
At 10:18 PM, March 04, 2008, Blogger Abbreviated said...

Our SBC went in debt to build a new sanctuary.

The same people who pushed through building are now freaking cause we can't make our association/st. dues (that's what I call them instead of missions) & a mortgage.

The association guy just retired & half the budget is salaries so they won't even miss us giving.

The lack of accountablility is very troubling. Alot of people have left. I would like to leave, but there isn't anywhere to go.

 
At 10:32 PM, March 04, 2008, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

Hi Abby. :) (I like that nickname)

My theory has always been that God pays for what He wants done, and when we come up short, we have to figure WE did something HE didn't want us to do. I haven't really seen any evidences where that wasn't the case.

Sorry to hear about what happened in your church. Where do you live, if I might ask (I just did, I guess)? Where I live, there are lots & lots of SBC churches so I'd hope you'd have somewhere else to go.

 
At 4:20 PM, March 05, 2008, Blogger Abbreviated said...

We are in Kansas, so called mission country. Our state board is a combined Nebraska/Kansas one.

If we were 20 miles south in OK this size town would have 3 SBC. There is only one. The town south of us has 3 very small SBC.

I never heard much about associations till we moved here & our association office is across the street.

Associations seem sort of obsolete to me.

 
At 6:06 PM, March 05, 2008, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

If the Association actually does some stuff, stuff that a single local church can't, or would have a lot of trouble doing, then they serve good purpose. If that's not the case, then you have an example of the churches serving the association instead of vice versa. Vice versa is the way it should be.

 
At 5:15 PM, April 22, 2008, Blogger Deni said...

Hey Bob,

Are you interested in selling your Argus Projector SLIDE TRAYS?

Please advise.

D

 
At 5:36 PM, April 22, 2008, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

Deni .. I only have a couple of them left, but you're welcome to what I have. I'll go count.

Send me an email to Mighty@Charter.net and I'll get back to you.

 
At 4:51 PM, August 20, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bob:
I just ran across your blog while I was searching for a slide viewer tray -- the kind you can put a box of slides on and look at (and organize)

I started my slide conversion project last winter when my son gave me a slide converter for Christmas. So far I have not converted many but have been enjoying looking at my slides from 1953 forward.

I spent some time deciding on the resolution and finally decided that a 600% size with a 300 pixel resolution will give me about a 2 meg jpg file and can be printed as an 8" by 10" photo if I decide I want some photos. It's a wonderful project.

I also plan to do all my photos as well as about 100 hours of video from my camcorder.

Thanks for a glimpse of your efforts.

Harry B
hdb3#comcast.net

 
At 4:57 PM, January 14, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have my deceased brothers argus slide projector and there is a slide stuck in it. the slide does not have a metal frame on it, or at least from what i see it does not. how to get this out?? tweezers don't fit. Any ideas?? i have his life time of slides that i want to share with my family...please help me.
mgossard1949@wowway.com

 
At 7:27 PM, January 14, 2010, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

I'd be inclined to take a blank slide .. or cardboard of the same thickness .. stick some double-sticky tape on it, and push that in where the slide goes. That might work.

Let me know if it doesn't, and I'll dream up something else.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home