Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> EAGLES' REST: Sometimes It's Not So Plain

Friday, January 18, 2008

Sometimes It's Not So Plain

Every now and then I hear a sermon that really gets my attention, and I'll tell the preacher "That was a terrific sermon .. you actually interrupted my train of thought 5 times!" Well .. I had sort of one of those moments a few minutes ago.

I was sitting here at my computer, checking email, and the TODAY SHOW was playing on the TV over my head. A gang of the show's folks were discussing all the pregnancies among unmarried Stollywood Harlets .... uuuhhhh ... Hollywood Starlets. One of the geniuses in front of the camera made the following statement. It shocked me out of my electronic stupor and I wrote it down. And I DO quote:

"If you're raising your kid in a loving relationship, does a marriage certificate really matter?"

Wow. The attitude these days seems to be that having children out of wedlock should be a matter of whether it's convenient, timely, financially wise, does it get good publicity, etc. And they said stuff like that for about five minutes.

NOTHING unfavorable, that I can recall, if it fit the description above.

NOT ONE WORD ABOUT MORALITY.

I heard, while I was still in school, that there are several omens, which were early-warning signs of every society that had ever fallen from within. Along with the breakdown of law & order (specifically order, or the enforcement of law), and the loss of the importance of the family unit, is this:

The public acceptance of immorality.

If the Today show bit about (the prominent results of) fornication isn't an example of THAT, I don't know what is. To me, that's as plain as the nose on your face.

Apparently, it's not so plain to those outside the faith. And perhaps not to some, inside.

What can really elevate my blood (A) Pressure, and (B) Temperature, is Public Pundits assailing a god who'd send people to hell, and is mean enough to let babies be molested, portraying that as evil and indicative of god. Note that I won't capitalize god in that instance as they're not referring to the God of the universe. But they just don't know it.

Fair-weather Christianity simply cannot deal with the world as it is. Neither can the prosperity doctrine offer any hope to a world that's indifferent about God and focused on things of this earth. I'm afraid a lot of people are going to end up staring at the wrong gates after they die, and wonder why society wasn't good enough to tell God how things ought to be.

Like Hebrews 9:27 says, payday someday.

4 Comments:

At 11:39 AM, January 18, 2008, Blogger Les Puryear said...

How loving is it to raise a child in an environment that dismisses, discounts, and deplores Jesus?

That doesn't sound like love to me. That sound like child abuse.

Les

 
At 11:46 AM, January 18, 2008, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

Amen, Les, and I think they'll believe it when God tell them that, face to face.

And, congratulations on the preacherly alliteration.

:)

 
At 12:47 PM, January 21, 2008, Blogger LindaSueBuhl said...

Saw the same show - was raised in the '60s on the peace love and lying-to-the-world-on-how-to-get- there system (the world not my sweet bible believing parents) been there done that and was blessed with a chance to repent and change. Do I think people in America are going to change - without literally divine intervention? Nope - does it break my heart - yep.

 
At 12:47 PM, January 22, 2008, Blogger Jettie said...

well said

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home