Saturday, January 19, 2008

Snow, Wood and Iron

CLOSE THE ROADS! PRE-EMPT NORMAL TV PROGRAMMING! CALL OFF THE WORLD!

WE'VE HAD A BLIZZARD!




You're lookin' at a HALF INCH of SNOW there, folks.

If you don't have any bread or milk, don't go looking for any in central Alabama; folks usually start buying it up en mass when the Weatherman utters the word "Snow". See, all the Interstates are elevated in downtown Birmingham, and they ice over when you get 1/4 inch of snow or so, and they close the city. Besides, nobody in Alabama that wasn't raised at least through age 25 in the frozen North, knows how to drive in snow or ice. Well, I don't guess I can blame them for THAT.

Personally, I like snowy roads here. There's never any traffic, and when there is, it's almost always sitting in the ditch waiting for a wrecker.

But something interesting happened when it started to snow, and, as I told Peg, she'd flung one on me when when she mentioned something to me. Here's what it was:

This is a picture of the little deck in front of our house that lets folks walk up from the driveway, to our front door.



It had just started snowing and when I walked back into the kitchen, Peg said "The snow is everywhere EXCEPT over the nailheads!". She thought that was sort of spooky. But then it hit me: STEEL holds heat better than WOOD.

In the picture below, the black dots in the snow are the nailheads.



I have to ask myself what kind of Christian I am. Is my faith built on wood, hay & stubble, or am I more like Iron? Are the things of this world going to crush and splinter me, or will interaction with my peers sharpen me? I can get all sort of upset when the sparks fly, but when iron's sharpened, that's what happens, isn't it?

Try rubbing a board against a grinding wheel and see what it gets you.

And I have to ask myself what's going to happen to me when the chill of reality about this or that, or the cold shoulder of some other human being, throws a monkey wrench at my faith.

It's axiomatic that, when you settle for LESS than is yours, you will get LESS than you settled for! So if my faith is to be like those iron nails that will keep their heat through the snowstorm, then I'm not about to settle for faith that's less than that.

You know what God says about lukewarm.

13 Comments:

At 6:38 PM, January 19, 2008, Blogger Kevin Bussey said...

It's headed our way. Thanks!

 
At 7:27 PM, January 19, 2008, Blogger Scotte Hodel said...

You completely blindsided me with that analogy. Well done.

 
At 12:43 PM, January 21, 2008, Blogger LindaSueBuhl said...

Lukewarm Laodiceans - spit them out (one translation has the Lord saying you make me want to vomit). Good switcheroo here Bob - from the great snowstorm of '08 to the great faithstorm of ??.

 
At 12:44 PM, January 22, 2008, Blogger Jettie said...

I can't imagine the joy of getting snow when ya hardley ever do!! We are over knee deep I love the snow!!

 
At 1:01 PM, January 22, 2008, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

Jettie,

Thanks for stopping in. The only trouble is that I moved 500 miles south to get away from the stuff. Hence, I still don't like it.

The only time I ever liked snow in Indiana was when we got a foot of it and I got to stay home from school or work.

:)

 
At 11:22 PM, January 22, 2008, Blogger Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

You sound like a nail to me. Good post. Makes me think about important things.

We got ten inches of snow yesterday and a sifting today.

 
At 9:33 AM, January 23, 2008, Blogger KellyJean said...

Very nice Bob! Thanks for the science lesson and the reminder. I laugh at your snow!

 
At 10:13 AM, January 23, 2008, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

Kelly:

So do I, but I'm in a small minority in that respect.

 
At 9:08 PM, January 24, 2008, OpenID waddey said...

Bob,
I'm a rural church pastor. Your blog is great. It is rare that you guys see snow and we here in North West TN don't. Our churches need nails! Great Stuff!

 
At 9:11 PM, January 24, 2008, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

Waddey,

Thanks for the kind words. Amen on the nails deal; folks need to know they CAN be that, but they have to ask God. Too many don't feel able or worthy (which nobody is, anyway).

 
At 12:47 PM, January 26, 2008, Anonymous nancypants said...

First, I love how you turn anything into worship and a picture of God's grace in our lives. I used to challenge my dh to come up with a spiritual application for anything I pointed at. (He's a minister if you don't remember that.) It kind of got funny sometimes but I think it's beautiful and shouldn't be surprising that in God's world everything really does point back to him -- "All creation cries out..."

Second, *that's* a blizzard??? That's a mere dusting! ;^P But don't listen to me. I'm a jaded American living in Canada! We are expecting a real doozy of a blizzard tomorrow. We still have several inches of snow on the ground that hasn't left since I don't know when...

 
At 1:18 PM, January 26, 2008, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

Nancy,

The first spiritual training I ever took .. think 1969-1970 .. involved that as one of the first exercises. The trainer let us pick a word out of a hat and then we went with our Bibles and concordances and pondered what God would have us to learn. That exercise was apparently more important than I ever realized.

Thanks for the kind words.

 
At 3:45 PM, February 29, 2008, Blogger Around The Funny Farm said...

This post truly made me laugh. A few years ago (3 or 4 now) we hauled down to Alabama on Valentine's weekend to pick up 2 horses.

And of course, we hit a TRUE blizzard coming home. The interstates were closed.

Now, us being from PA and all... we figured we'd just take some paved other roads. Huge mistake!

**laughing**

It was a terrible experience!

But we all survived!

Beth

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home