Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> EAGLES' REST: If You’re Looking For Us………… UPDATE SATURDAY

Monday, January 07, 2008

If You’re Looking For Us………… UPDATE SATURDAY

The Light of the Sun

Haven’t seen any pretty sunrises on the cruise. Oh, there may have been some, but if so, we slept through them all. At least, until this morning.

I woke up at whatever the nautical term is for 6 a.m., and sat on the balcony for a while. I took this picture there. What I noticed most was that the sun was too bright to look at directly, but it was beautiful when I looked at it hidden in something else.

Like the clouds.

But I also noticed it shone around the clouds, even though hidden from direct view, and also that the light reflected off the water was beautiful, too. Now, this morning was the calmest the sea’s been this week, but the beauty of the light wasn’t dependant on how calm the sea was. 4-8 foot waves didn’t hinder the beauty earlier in the week. It was still the same light.

The only thing that really stopped the beauty of the light from glistening off the water, was clouds so thick that they blanketed the sky and took away all the reflections of the sun.

Hmm …. Do you suppose there’s a parallel … the sun & the sea …. And the Son & the believer?

I think so.

*************************************************************************************

WATCH OUT!! They’re EVERYWHERE!!

.

Ladies and gentlemen, meet Frederico. He’s a Mexican gent I met in Cozumel. Peg and I’d gone ashore and she went shopping for a little bit. So .. I resorted to one of my fave pastimes, sitting on a bench. The only open space in eyesight was next to Frederico, so I sat there.

He’s a native of the area and works for a Travel and Tour Operator in Playa del Carmen, just ashore from Cozumel. He’d brought a group of British ladies to Cozumel for a tour and there wasn’t room on the van for him, so he was sitting and People-Watching.

He has a wife and an 8-year-old daughter in Mexico City and he works in Playa del Carmen to support them. He’s also a Catholic, and he’s probably as saved as anyone I know. His mother, who died a few years ago, was devout Catholic but she always told him that it was what he believed that counted, and not what he belonged to … regardless of what church that was. He knows it’s all about Jesus, and told me he’d been reading my Witness Wear Shirt which said “Jesus Beat the Devil with a Big Ugly Stick”.

Frederico mentioned that he enjoyed visiting other Christian churches to worship, too, and said he always learned when he did.

He told me he thought I was right when I told him I perceived he had the Spiritual gift of encouragement. He seemed encouraged, himself, at hearing that.

All in all, we had a delightful visit. Strangely, the neat things on the cruise seem to have been the people.

Uhh … except for 450 horsepower of pure excitement.

*************************************************************************************


LIKE WILL SMITH SAID…… “I have GOT TO get me one of THESE!!!!!”




Specifically, an airboat. Or, as the guide told us, “450 horsepower of pure excitement!” He was right, but ANYTHING that you can fit in a snapshot taken from 30 feet, that has 450 hp (courtesy of a warm-sounding 454 Chevy bigblock), is exciting in the extreme. We rode this one through a mangrove swamp outside Belize City for about an hour.

Whoo…..WEE!!!!!!!!

When I get back, I’ll put up a 20 second video of it, when it doesn’t cost an arm and a firstborn to upload stuff. Simple pics are bad enough.

Mer .. .yes, Grama really DID ride this thing. It was her idea.

************************************************************************************


Blast time, yet AGAIN!

Last night there was a quartet that did a whole show in one of the lounges here. It was all Everly Brothers stuff, from back in the dark ages. Such fun. But even that wasn't the outstanding blast of the day.

See, there was also this marimba band, a whole family, playing in the visitors’ center in Santo Tomas de Castilla, Guatemala. We sat and listened for an hour, and bought a couple CD’s.

That took me back to my youth, when Mickey Meese and I visited Northminster Presbyterian Church one Sunday night; and an embarrassing episode involving Xavier Cugat’s marimba player, a youth group full of girls, and what was undoubtedly a high-fiber diet fed to Mick by his well-meaning mom. The details are best left unspecified, other than to state we never went back to THAT youth group again.

************************************************************************************


And Yet ANOTHER Blast from the Past….

This little band played a 45 minute tribute performance to the Glenn Miller Band in the Galaxie Lounge, last night. Being a BIG Glenn Miller fan, in the 50’s I couldn’t miss that!

Seeing how Miller’s band used a clarinet lead, backed by a full sax section, and since these guys only had one sax/clarinet player, the sound was a bit removed from Miller’s. But it was still remarkable and the audience ate it up.

Can you spell O L D?

We went from there to the Stardust Theater and saw a Broadway Revue. Neat-o!

**********************************************************************************

Talk about a blast from the past!

I grew up in the 50’s, playing Big Band music from folks like Les Brown, Les & Larry Elgart, Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Woody Herman, Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller, and countless others.

Well … tonight, my sweetheart and I went to the Stardust Theater on the Spirit, and saw a young man from New Orleans named Chantz Powell. That’s him in the picture, and he’s an entertainer after the fashion of Sammy Davis Jr. He sings quite well, plays the trumpet, and is a super tap dancer. He put on a show that Sammy Davis might have done, and he was simply super. And, not only did he put on a terrific show, but he’s a really nice kid, too.

Oh yes he is a kid. He’s 20!

Remember him. One day, he’s apt to be headlining in Las Vegas.

What a great evening. If you happen see to a certain CD named “Stories of Me” up for bids on EBay with my name on the listing, that’ll be his. He autographed it for me.

Remember the name. Chantz Powell.


**********************************************************************************

ORIGINAL POST

Try looking here:



Somewhere off the coast of Mexico, 363 miles South of New Orleans. Right behind the little red dot (our balcony is there), which happens to be directly beneath the Internet Café.


We’re on the Norwegian Cruise Lines M/S Spirit, headed for Roatan, Santo Tomas de Castilla, Belize City, and Cozumel. We are on a cruise celebrating my upcoming retirement (stay tuned for details).


More later, in a feeble attempt to justify the $49.95 I blew buying 100 minutes Genuine High Speed Internet Access. I'll just stick stuff at the top so you won't have to wade through this junk again.


I do know this, already. Just driving into Noo Awluns on I-10, you’ll get to see enough remnants of Katrina to make you sick at your stomach. Particularly if you’re an insurance agent who knows what the dollar losses were, and informed enough to know that an awful lot of people had gotten themselves into a false sense of security and neglected flood insurance, and sometimes windstorm coverage too.


Unbelievable.

16 Comments:

At 1:57 PM, January 07, 2008, Blogger Kevin Bussey said...

I'm jealous!

 
At 8:09 PM, January 07, 2008, Blogger Debbie Kaufman said...

This is a different pic than on Kevin Bussy's blog. :) I am jealous. OK that's my first confession. I've wanted to go on a cruise ship ever since the days of "Love Boat." Have a great time Bob.

 
At 9:56 PM, January 07, 2008, Blogger Ken Hearn said...

Bob,
Enjoy yourself. Hope you have a great vacation and retirement.
(retirement from your paid job, because we all know you can't retire from God's work)

 
At 10:22 PM, January 07, 2008, Blogger KellyJean said...

Thanks for the update! Have a great time and be safe!

 
At 11:51 PM, January 07, 2008, Blogger Bryan Riley said...

I've been on that cruise. Enjoy.

 
At 8:32 AM, January 08, 2008, Anonymous corrie said...

Bob!!!! If you blew $49.99 on Internet already...why haven't you gone over to PW and said 'ahoy' to the legion of fans you have there? Thank you for posting this notice of your whereabouts... the goils were already gabbing about possibilities of where you may be! Once I heard you were on a cruise I did recall that I read an article on the growing popularity of 'GothCruises' and wondered if maybe.... you know... there was something you'd not yet told us... :) Cheers to you & Peg and all the best wishes for loads of sun, fun and adventure!

 
At 2:34 AM, January 09, 2008, Blogger Rising Rainbow said...

We have a young man in our area that sounds like Johnny Cash reincarnated. It's interesting how life seems to circle around like that.

 
At 7:56 AM, January 09, 2008, Blogger CB Scott said...

Go with God, my brother. Come back the same way. See you soon.

cb

 
At 11:12 AM, January 09, 2008, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

Thanks, CB. Already had some neat conversations, particularly one with a young lady poker dealer at an empty table. She now knows she needs to go back to Manila and be with her 8 y/o son (she's a single mom and the kid does not need to be raised by grandma).

My "A Blood Donor Saved My Life" black T-shirt has gotten a lot of attention already.

I'm answering this from the Internet Cafe on on the ship (interrupted by gazing out the window at the coast of Guatemala).

Looks a lot like South Central L.A. out there.

 
At 9:03 PM, January 09, 2008, Anonymous The House Sitting Granddaughter said...

I just wanted you to know that the house is still standing, however the living room does look like a tornado hit it... It has been overtaken by a mob of college aged boys and a couple of X-Boxes. You would be proud of them, they are playing in HD!
Tell grandma I said hello (I hope she hasn't tossed her cookies!) and that I attempted to make her famous chocolate icing for some cupcakes and failed...miserably! A lesson is scheduled as soon as her feet hit dry land and she stops swaying!
Much Love,
MER

 
At 7:08 AM, January 10, 2008, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

Thanksalot, Mer. We'll sleep better knowing the house is being protected by a whole thundering herd of young'uns. Aren't some of them trained in Martial Arts?

 
At 10:57 AM, January 11, 2008, Anonymous The granddaughter...Who is now in shock said...

***Deep breath*** Excuse me while I regulate my breathing... I'm pretty sure my breathing (and heart) stopped due to the shock I received when I read that Grandma rode it AND it was HER idea!
There are no sides to it... One could just fall off into the open water. The only reasonable explanation is that she was incoherent due to the sea sick medicine. Yes, in fact she was drugged. Hide the pictures because once she comes out of that state and sees the pictures and what she did she's going to have a cow. That's the craziest thing I've ever heard of. It's just utterly ridiculous !
Much Love,
MER

 
At 12:33 PM, January 11, 2008, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

Mer, I'll print out your comment and throw it into the rubber room where they're keeping her until we get back to New Orleans.

 
At 8:21 AM, January 12, 2008, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

Incidentally, Mer, did the Guardsnake .... the Boa Constrictor that we left in the natural area ... give you guys any problems?

 
At 4:14 PM, January 12, 2008, Anonymous the house cleaning granddaughter said...

Actually he did come out to play last night! He only consumed an x-box and the youngest Troutman boy. No worries though because we took action and saved what was important... The x-box! Maybe we'll see Jordan in a few days on the other end!
More importantly tell Grandma that I finally succeeded! I did it! Woohoo, I couldn't be happier... I made peanut butter fudge and it actually was solid, cut-able, and you didn't even have to use a spoon! Third times a charm!
I guess I need to go clean the house, patch the holes in the walls, and attempt to figure out who the people are that are still passed out on the lawn!
See Ya Soon,
MER

 
At 5:52 PM, January 14, 2008, Blogger Scotte Hodel said...

Bob, I gotta say I miss your blog entries. I'm glad you're enjoying yourself out there.

God's blessings on you and your family!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home