Wednesday, November 07, 2007

A Word For Rev. Burleson: See, Hear, and Speak

An open message for Wade Burleson:

"All this I have told you so that you will not go astray. They will put you out of the synagogue; in fact, a time is coming when anyone who kills you will think he is offering a service to God. They will do such things because they have not known the Father or me. I have told you this, so that when the time comes you will remember that I warned you. I did not tell you this at first because I was with you. " (John 16:1-4... NIV)

Nothing about the IMB Trustees' action is surprising. Nothing.

I didn't learn a thing by their actions. Nothing.

I had hoped for something vastly different. But I did not expect it (and don't bother going to that self-fulfilling expectation thing). Big difference between hoping and expecting.

A lot of people are disappointed, or even outraged, at what they've done. Strangely (not really), those people are the folks I respect and have respected, most.

The thing you're being excoriated for is the letting of light into the tent of meeting of the BoT. And, much of the SBC has been illuminated by the same light. And they are outraged that they look bad in the light. Don't they realize that it's their actions that make them look bad, and not the light?

AND WHILE I'M AT IT.....

What on earth are the afraid of over at the IMB? They act is if ruling out candidates who pray in an unknown tongue will help to assure the continued "purity", or baptisticity, of the work. Gosh, if that's important to God, wouldn't HE do that? He said HE would build His church and nothing was going to stop Him. Do they think that a missionary praying something they don't understand will accomplish what God says the gates of hell can't? Note to Dr. Patterson: was THAT what you were thinking might happen re: Dwight McKissic's sermon in the chapel service, huh? A 20 minute sermon's going to do what God said wouldn't happen?

My conclusion is that, since God said He would unstoppably build His church, and the trustees of IMB (and maybe SWBTS) don't think He can do that unless they run interference for Him, then they don't view IMB or SWBTS as falling under that Godly protection of the work of the church. Saaaayyy .. I wonder how THAT will play in Texas courtrooms.

Tip for the IMB BoT: Next time you look around for a scapegoat, pick one that's not transparent and unassuming. Maybe someone like that will have followers who are not discerning.

And an audience that isn't, either.

And another thing: I'm no theologian, but I have to note that, throughout the Old Testament, God used Prophets and then judges to warn Israel of the error of their way. Guys who were on THEIR side. When they simply would not listen, eventually He sent folks like the Babylonians to exact His justice. Well, God put Rev. Burleson on the IMB BoT for a purpose, and I firmly believe he's been about that. As they will not listen, and as the SBC would not handle the problems last year, and the BoT will not face the plain truth about what they've been up to, I fully expect to see God intervening, and with forces not friendly to the IMB.

They, like Israel, were told. They, like Israel, would not listen.

4 Comments:

At 10:30 AM, November 08, 2007, Blogger Bennett Willis said...

I always came away from reading Wade's reports on the IMB meetings with a feeling of closeness and involvement with missions. My feelings after this last report were quite different. Transparency is a very important feature if you plan for people to volunteer to pay you.

Bennett Willis

 
At 10:36 AM, November 08, 2007, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

Bennett,

Right you are. I'm not sure the IMB can see beyond the end of their collective nose (see my prior post).

(Come to think of it, see my next one, too.)

Thanks for the comment.

 
At 7:15 PM, November 11, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sirm i learned a lot from these 2 post, can use both in a sermon and was inspired by both.

What more can be done!

grace
darrell treat
wtreat@centurytel.net

 
At 7:21 PM, November 11, 2007, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

Darrell,

Thanks for the kind words. Preaching the truth is the more'est thing that anybody can ever do. Next to praying, that is.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home