Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> EAGLES' REST: IMB BOARD OF TRUSTEES NEW LOGO?

Friday, November 16, 2007

IMB BOARD OF TRUSTEES NEW LOGO?

I envision the Board of Trustees of the International Mission Board, of the Southern Baptist Convention adopting a new logo, in an effort to put a positive face on all that has transpired in the past 10 days. I suggest the logo shown over to the right.

Gears run a lot of what we do. Vehicles have a kazillion of them, as do escalators, elevators, clocks, wrist watches (well, non-digital ones, anyway), trucks, buses, planes, trains, electric drills, the one-ton crane I suppose they used to hoist the latest well-publicized Presidential Portrait into place. Electric mixers, computer hard drives, lots of things. So why shouldn't a new IMB/BoT logo have some?

Gears also direct energy, transmit power, lots of good analogy-stuff. I like it.

These three gears might even represent three different principles. Yeah .. that's it. That's the ticket.

One could be The Holy Spirit. Sure, that one ought to be bigger but my computer only has so much photostuff on it and I couldn't make that happen.

Another one could represent honesty, openness, forthrightness, cooperation. Things like that.

The third gear could be secrecy, closed door meetings, stifling of dissent, etc.

Those last two things do seem to summarize, for me, what's been going on over there in the BoT meetings. Them we can read about, but I cannot speculate about the Holy Ghost one, as I was not at the meetings. So we ought to at least look at a couple things God says about the last two, honesty & openness, and stifling of dissent.

"For this is what the LORD says-- he who created the heavens, he is God; he who fashioned and made the earth, he founded it; he did not create it to be empty, but formed it to be inhabited-- he says: "I am the LORD, and there is no other. I have not spoken in secret, from somewhere in a land of darkness; I have not said to Jacob's descendants, 'Seek me in vain.' I, the LORD, speak the truth; I declare what is right." (Isaiah 45:18-19, NIV)

Hmmm .. sounds like God did things openly and for all to see.

"I have spoken openly to the world," Jesus replied. "I always taught in synagogues or at the temple, where all the Jews come together. I said nothing in secret.Why question me? Ask those who heard me. Surely they know what I said." When Jesus said this, one of the officials nearby struck him in the face. "Is this the way you answer the high priest?" he demanded. "If I said something wrong," Jesus replied, "testify as to what is wrong. But if I spoke the truth, why did you strike me?" (John 18:20-23, NIV)

Gee .. sounds like Jesus avoided secrecy too, at least in what it was He was referring to.

"Therefore, since through God's mercy we have this ministry, we do not lose heart. Rather, we have renounced secret and shameful ways; we do not use deception, nor do we distort the word of God. On the contrary, by setting forth the truth plainly we commend ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God. And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing. 2 Corinthians 4:1-3, NIV)

Wow. Paul said the same thing.

Well, maybe the logo isn't so good after all. They're not supposed to work that way at IMB and the BoT, are they?

WAIT. Look at that logo again. Uhhh .... there's no way it can POSSIBLY work. None of the gears can turn!

GOSH! If you try to turn them, ONE of them is going to get all chewed up by the others. You'd have to dis-engage one of them. Hmmmmm...

Wow.

So ... maybe it IS the right logo, after all, huh?

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 5:50 PM, November 18, 2007, Blogger Scotte Hodel said...

Ironic you'd post that; I was looking over some of my old blog posts and saw one on public disclosure from last Spring. Paul said at his defense:

"These things were not done in a corner."

Food for thought. The gears are a wonderful picture, especially for those of us who played with them when our kids were small.

 
At 3:40 PM, November 19, 2007, Blogger shadrach said...

Bob,

I replied to your question. Just wanted to make sure you saw it.

 
At 8:24 AM, November 20, 2007, Anonymous Pamela-Atl. said...

Loved your comment on PW's blog. You're a riot.

 
At 8:29 AM, November 20, 2007, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

Pamela, thanks for looking in, and for the kind words (I think riotousness is a compliment).

Shadrach, thanks. I read it.

God bless y'all. Come back any time. I post inane thoughts from the pew every now and then. Lately, mostly about SBC matters, as I feel like Jay Leno looking for material when he sees the political stuff going on. So much material, so little time.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home