Thursday, November 08, 2007

An Argument From OF Silence


Heard a story ... actually read it in "Humor in Uniform", Readers' Digest, maybe 40 years ago. It concerned a General playing cards on a train with several aides, in the dining car. The General and one aide got into a lengthy discussion about who should win a certain hand. The other aides sat in silence during the uproar.

Finally, the General asked the porter if he'd heard the details and was told no, he hadn't. The General remarked that was too bad as he wanted to ask him for an opinion as to who was right and who was wrong. The porter immediately responded:

"You're wrong, General".

The General asked how he could know that since he even said he did NOT know the details. The porter said:

"If you were right, every other aide would have been arguing on your side".

Well. We know some things about Wade and his blog. One is that many missionaries read it. I mean, Peg and I were sitting with Dorcas Hawker having dinner in the River Center during this year's convention and two folks approached us and thanked us for what we were doing in blogdom. They expressed appreciation for what we were saying. They were IMB missionaries who were reading the blogs, but had never commented. They also mentioned other blogs they read, and they included Rev. Burleson's, among others.

They also said that other missionaries read them too. Goodness. If they're reading MY little old blog, you gotta know how much more those folks are reading Rev. Burleson's.

Now, I figure that there may be a lot more Missionaries who read and don't comment, and probably not any that DON'T read the blogs but DO comment. And, as respects Grace and Truth to You and missionaries, the comments I have seen are all favorable (according to my inadequate memory).

Hmmm....

IMB Missionaries lives' depend on the IMB, and indirectly the BoT. Were I an IMB missionary, if I agreed with the BoT decision, I'd be all over the blogs praising them and thanking them for putting a malefactor in his place. 1) If i were altruistic and brotherly, I'd stand up for them. 2) If I were a (HT: CB Scott) baloney-eating boot-strapper (which I don't think there are any of amongst IMB missionaries, anyway), I'd be all over the blogs praising them and thanking them for putting a malefactor in his place.

Hmmm ... perhaps it is, in this case, that the silence of Missionaries, other than the ones who support Rev. Burleson, speaks more for against the BoT than anyone could ever say for them.

7 Comments:

At 10:52 AM, November 08, 2007, Blogger Scotte Hodel said...

i tried to find the old Darth Maul promo video where he says, "Fear. Fear is my ally."

Not there. Oh well, it would be a good summary of recent events.

 
At 1:45 PM, November 08, 2007, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

Scotte: Indeed.

 
At 9:51 PM, November 08, 2007, Blogger Scotte Hodel said...

Found it. Here's a link:

 
At 10:50 AM, November 09, 2007, Anonymous Lee said...

Those are good observations, Bob.

Thanks for pointing out that there are missionaries reading the blogs who don't comment. I suppose you have also noticed that a lot of the blog comments from missionaries and IMB staff come in to Wade's blog as "anonymous."

What does that say about a trustee board, when employees and missionaries who serve are too afraid to speak openly?

 
At 12:02 PM, November 09, 2007, Blogger Paul Burleson said...

Bob,

The word "vicarious" is defined in a common language way in Webster's dictionary as..."acting for another" and "sharing in someone else's experience through the use of imagination or empathetic words and feelings".

That said, you will understand me when I say, I see you as having been a vicarious writer in your last several posts. Thanks is insufficient. You've spoken for yourself but some of us, myself included, found our voice being heard in your words.

 
At 1:28 PM, November 09, 2007, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

Paul: Thank you. I figure there are enough high-level geniuses telling us what the hoi polloi think. Since they were wrong in the only real survey they seem to have taken, I figure it's high time the hoi polloi set them straight. And it's fun, except for the wrestling matches my ego gives me when good folks appreciate what I write.

Lee: It says the same thing blogdom has been saying for a couple of years, that I know of. If the IMB/BoT ever figures that out ... well ... I'm reminded of my son's favorite poster:

"None of us is as dumb as all of us".

Amen.

 
At 9:57 PM, November 10, 2007, Blogger Debbie Kaufman said...

Bob: I can't say anything that hasn't already been said except that I appreciate you and Peg far more than either of you will ever know.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home