Friday, September 07, 2007

Security Guard. .. or CEO?

I remember when we first joined a Baptist Church, hearing folks pray a little differently from the way folks prayed in the Presbyterian church. Sort of more personally, and less stilted.

One of the phrases I heard frequently was referring to the Holy Ghost, thanking Him for always being there "when we need You...". I'd never really given much thought to the power and presence of the Holy Ghost before those times. Religion seemed more organized and less personal, before then.

Strangely, we hear (or at least I'd heard) that we need to downplay our experience in religious matters, and emphasize God's Word; it was almost as if real gut-level experiences were not to be enjoyed or relied on for anything. Well, some experiences in the last 20 years or so ... while a member of FBC Pelham, have certainly changed that.

Bigtime.

I'm sure those prayers referring to the Holy Ghost were well-intentioned. But they hinted at a mindset which says we're to go about our daily tasks and He will intervene when we go astray, or need a little additional help in what we purpose to do anyway. That's sort of the same attitude Nicodemus displayed when He reacted to Jesus comment that you must be born again. Nick's comment suggested that he expected Jesus to fit into his life, rather than Nick fitting into Jesus' life.

My take is, that's backwards! Jesus said He looked around to see what His Father was doing and joined in that work, rather than doing "His own thing". I think we're supposed to do the same thing in our lives. I believe every morsel of our lives is part of our "faith walk", and can be done in the power and presence of the Holy Ghost.

I'm not a scholar in old languages, but my computer Bible has Strong's, Thayer's, et al built into it, and I use them all the time. When I do that to Proverbs 3:5&6, I get some interesting results.

Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. (KJV)

Those guys tell me the word "acknowledge" means to know, to ascertain by seeing, to perceive. WOW. That means I am to be able to see the Lord in all my ways. All my actions. And to do that, I'm going to need His divine help in all my actions, because there's no good thing in my carnal man, that would generate actions reflecting Jesus!

I also looked up the meaning of the word "Lord". It seems to mean "He to Whom a thing belongs ... supreme in authority". That doesn't describe a Pinkerton's employee, to me!

Security guards are essential in many types of businesses. They watch what's going on, alert for problems, and react to preserve what's supposed to be happening.

CEO's, on the other hand, are in charge of everything that happens in the company. No, they don't DO it all, but they are responsible for everything nonetheless. And, if they mess up bad enough, they're gone. They are to anticipate and accommodate all the external forces which threaten their operations, and insure their corporate objectives are met. They are also to see that performance of employees and representatives is up to par, so that the company's long-term goals are achieved.

We hear a lot about "guardian angels". Personally, I don't think we have them. If we do, they don't seem to be very effective, as Christians seem to be killed in auto accidents, die from diseases or fires, and lose money on their 401k the same as non-believers. Sadly, they seem to divorce at about the same rate, too. And if we DO have guardian angels, then non-believers have them (or something like them) too, as they have near-misses and close calls just like Christians do.

My personal take is that God is personally involved in all my life (hello .. can you say Henry Blackaby? ) and will not allow anything He wishes not to happen to me. That's one (of many) messages courtesy of Job.

It's to be God Who wills and works in my life (of course, there are some caveats with that...).

So ... where has your personal Department of (Super-)Human Resources placed the Holy Spirit in your life? What position is He filling, for you?

If He's not the CEO of your life, give Him a promotion right this minute. He earned it, and deserved it, 2,000 years before you were even born.

6 Comments:

At 10:45 AM, September 07, 2007, Blogger ang said...

Came over from Ree's site and so glad I did. Lovely post! Provoked me to reevaluate where God stands in my life. Thank you!

 
At 11:04 AM, September 07, 2007, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

Hi Ang. Thanks for stopping in and commenting. I appreciate it.

 
At 6:06 PM, September 07, 2007, Blogger One Salient Oversight said...

The HS is our CEO, even when we pass him in the hallway and treat him like the security guard.

 
At 9:59 PM, September 07, 2007, Anonymous Wayne Smith said...

Bob,
I always say Jesus(Holy Spirit) is the Captian of My Ship(Me)!!!

Great Post

For Reform by being Informed!!! Read your Bible!!!

In His Name
Wayne Smith

 
At 1:16 PM, September 18, 2007, Blogger klasieprof said...

It was life changing learning when I evaluated.."Where is God Working, and how can I join HIM there"?.

I am 'dynamic' enough to make just about anything happen. I can cajole, work it, manipulate and pester to "get things done". How much better it is..to sit back, observe, watch, see what is happening, and then go there and help the cause already occurring.
great reminder.
I added you to my fav's to read each day.
thanks,
from a recovering fundy, former SBC attending churcher (until that pastor said SBC was getting too liberal "allowing" women preachers),then after a small disagreement told to not come back to that church, ex bible college schooler (till got kicked out for selling cigarettes at the gas station I worked at) and lots of that other Schumck that occurs in God's name.

Donna From mid michigan

 
At 2:39 PM, September 18, 2007, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

Hi Donna. I appreciate your testimony and find your profile interesting.

We're midwesterners at heart, too, having moved here from Indianapolis about 32 years ago. Good to hear from someone up your way.

My only spiritual experiences in Michigan stemmed from a trip to Jackson to testify at a church of a friend.

Thanks for looking in.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home