Tuesday, April 24, 2007

I'M OFF.........................

As if you didn't know that already, right?

I'm getting on a jet plane Thursday morning, sweetheart in tow, headed for the Conference on the Holy Spirit in Arlington, Texas. It's my fervent hope that the Holy Spirit has it on His schedule, too.

I want to hear some real stuff. After all these years, I've heard about the invisible work of the Holy Ghost in regeneration and all that sort of thing. And I agree with it all. But, for several years I have asked candidates in deacon elections how they know they are filled with the Holy Spirit, and I have yet to get an answer that I deemed reflective of the awesome power of the Holy Ghost. Once He's landed that stuff in your life, your experience goes way beyond keeping a stiff upper lip when your dog gets run over by a car.

I said something that made a member of my SS class sit up and say something like "wow" last Sunday. I asked him what I'd said, and he responded "Is the Holy Spirit living in you if He's not alive in you.....". That, needless to say, opened a little discussion.

It does, though, bring up a good point. What good is it to have Him "living in you" if He's not doing anything? It'd be like having Luciano Pavarotti attend your church but never sing, or having Bill Gates there but never have him write a huge check. Their presence might not mean anything unless they manifest their abilities. And so it is, IMO, with the Holy Spirit. What good is He, living in you, if He never does anything that cannot be done by anyone else?

He's already sealed us for the day of redemption. Thanks. Now, let's see some other stuff to glorify God. Some stuff we cannot do, ourselves.

That's why we're off to Texas.

Bring it on, guys.

4 Comments:

At 9:47 PM, April 24, 2007, Blogger Kevin Bussey said...

Have a safe trip.

 
At 7:50 PM, April 25, 2007, Blogger Tiger Lamb Girl said...

Have a safe journey. God bless!

 
At 8:23 AM, May 01, 2007, Blogger Benjie said...

I'm interested to hear if you were able to find out anything profitable in Texas.

In light of your thought, it really isn't that the Holy Spirit is doing nothing in us, but more often than not, we're doing nothing with what He's doing in us. Which begs the question, is He in us at all?

Great thought to bring to the next deacon (or ministerial) ordination--after I've determined the answer for myself.

 
At 8:45 AM, May 01, 2007, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

Benjie: Yes, I did. I think I have a fresh realization of what it means to have the Holy Spirit living in you. Ben Cole and Sam Storms and Wade Burleson really, really spoke to my spirit. I'll be pondering that for some time.

One of the big points, to me, is that the Holy Spirit is going to do that which man needs in his service of God. That relieves me of the responsibility of making any judgments on how He is manifested, or is said to be manifested, in others. I will have to judge those things if I am placed in a position where I have that responsibility, but I won't where I'm not.

There's a lot more, but I'll digest it first.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home